How many turns in my electromagnet?

In summary, the person is making a DIY electromagnet and wants to make it as powerful as possible. They are using 2 9v D Cell Batteries and a 15mm diameter iron core. They have questions about whether to connect the batteries in series or parallel, what gauge wire to use, and whether to use thicker wire with less turns or thinner wire with more turns. They also want to know how many turns are needed for a given gauge and at what point the magnet would become saturated. They have been researching online but have not found a clear answer and are seeking help.
oxidus5886
Hi,

I am making a DIY electromagnet.

I'm using 2 9v D Cell Batteries as the power source and a 15mm diameter iron core.

I am looking to make the magnet as powerful as possible.

My questions are as follows:

1. Should I connect the batteries in series or parallel?
2. What gauge wire should I use? I know that thicker gauge wire offers less resistance so is it better to go with thicker wire?
3. I guess the main question is thicker wire and less turns or thinner wire and more turns?
4. Also for the given gauge how many turns do i need and at what point would the magnet become saturated?

I know i must seem like I don't know much and it's completely true. :confused: I have been scouring the web and am unable to find a simple enough answer. I would be the first to admit my maths isn't the greatest so some of the answers I have already found have flown right over my head.

Any help you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Oxidus

Engineering news on Phys.org
Google 3 volt electromagnet.

9 volt batteries should not be used.

1 1/2 volt D cells may be used. Probably parallel would be best.

Very small wire is usually best.

Related to How many turns in my electromagnet?

1. How can I determine the number of turns needed for my electromagnet?

The number of turns needed for an electromagnet depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnet desired, the size and shape of the core material, and the amount of current flowing through the coil. It is best to consult a magnetism expert or use a magnetism calculator to determine the optimal number of turns for your specific electromagnet.

2. Does the shape of the coil affect the number of turns needed?

Yes, the shape of the coil can affect the number of turns needed. A tightly wound, cylindrical coil will require fewer turns compared to a loosely wound, flat coil. This is because the tightly wound coil has a higher magnetic field density and can produce a stronger magnetic field with fewer turns.

3. Is there a standard number of turns for electromagnets?

No, there is no standard number of turns for electromagnets. The number of turns needed varies depending on the specific application and desired magnet strength. It is important to calculate the number of turns based on the specific parameters of your electromagnet.

4. How does the current affect the number of turns needed?

The amount of current flowing through the coil is directly related to the strength of the magnetic field produced. Higher currents require fewer turns, while lower currents require more turns to produce the same magnetic field strength. Therefore, the number of turns needed will vary depending on the amount of current flowing through the coil.

5. Can I change the number of turns after the electromagnet has been constructed?

Yes, the number of turns can be changed after the electromagnet has been constructed. However, this may require disassembling and rewinding the coil, which can be time-consuming and may potentially damage the electromagnet. It is best to carefully calculate the number of turns needed before constructing the electromagnet to avoid this extra step.