How many physics courses should I complete for applying for REU?

In summary: I would also say that your GPA is very important. In some cases it can be the deciding factor. However, many programs also look at your letters of recommendation and your research experience if you have any. I would say to get involved in research as much as you can while in college. This will show that you are passionate about the subject and are willing to put in the extra effort. I also think it is a good idea to take a GRE Physics Test Prep course before applying. This will help your score in the review process. Good luck!In summary, -to increase your chances of being accepted into an REU program, you should have completed five physics courses by the
Benzoate
When applying for the REU program, how many physics courses should I have completed, how high should my GPA be , and how much research experience should I have beforehand. Would assisting graduate students and/or a professor on a physics topic , such as rotating black holes or topics in nuclear physics qualify as research experience to a REU commitee. When should I apply to the REU program

Physics news on Phys.org
Benzoate said:
When applying for the REU program, how many physics courses should I have completed, how high should my GPA be , and how much research experience should I have beforehand. Would assisting graduate students and/or a professor on a physics topic , such as rotating black holes or topics in nuclear physics qualify as research experience to a REU commitee. When should I apply to the REU program

only in rare instances are students accepted that have completed only two physics classes.

your chances increase a bit (in my experience, anyway) after you have completed your sophomore year. i personally had taken five physics classes during my sophomore year.

can't comment on the GPA.

it seems to me that having prior research experience is beneficial, and those opportunities you listed do appear to be legitimate undergraduate research activities. i would recomment getting involved with a project you can see yourself enjoying instead of getting involved for the sake of getting involved. (i speak with hindsight, naturally!)

applications are due usually in february and march. check schools' websites for reu application information at around november if you plan on applying the following winter/spring.

good luck.

I am in an REU this summer and have to say that I am really enjoying it.(Yes, there was that one day I spent on PF because I had to wait for some glue to dry, but we won't get into that!)

I am going into my junior year. I have about five physics classes under my belt, two of them are upper level courses(300-400 level), Statistical Mechanics and Optics. I also have a very good GPA above, 3.9 overall.

I applied to about 12 programs and 1 accepted me. The competition is tough, but so worth it if you get in. I have got to use equipment I would not have even known about otherwise and meet people I would otherwise never had met. Plus, my REU as well as many others, offers a GRE Physics Test Prep course. This is definitely a plus!

My advice is to apply to as many programs as possible. There are several programs that look for younger applicants and try to keep them coming back for the next couple summers, but these are the minority. Try not to limit yourself to too small an area. If you are open to go to more places, then there are going to be more possible programs.

Last edited:

Related to How many physics courses should I complete for applying for REU?

1. How many physics courses should I complete for applying for REU?

The number of physics courses you should complete for applying for REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) can vary depending on the specific program and your level of experience. Generally, it is recommended to have completed at least 2-3 physics courses, including introductory courses and some upper-level courses in your specific field of interest.

2. Are there any specific physics courses that are required for REU?

Each REU program may have different requirements, so it is important to carefully read the program's application guidelines. However, most programs will require at least one introductory physics course and some upper-level courses in your specific field of interest. Some programs may also require courses in related fields such as math or computer science.

3. Can I apply for REU if I haven't completed all of my physics courses yet?

Yes, you can still apply for REU if you haven't completed all of your physics courses yet. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in physics and demonstrate a strong interest in the field through your coursework and extracurricular activities.

4. Is it better to have a higher number of physics courses or more advanced courses for REU?

It is generally more important to have a solid understanding of the fundamentals of physics and show interest in your specific field of research than to have a high number of courses or advanced courses. However, having a combination of both introductory and advanced courses can strengthen your application.

5. Can I apply for REU if I am a non-physics major?

Yes, many REU programs welcome applications from students with diverse backgrounds. While having a physics major or coursework in physics can be beneficial, it is not always a requirement. However, you should have a strong interest in the research topic and demonstrate relevant knowledge and skills through your coursework and experiences.