How many hydraulic rams do I need to prevent wall collapsing ?

In summary, the rectangle-shaped wall with dimensions of 3m height, 20m length, and 6.0m width is filled with water and has a force acting on it of 1766 KN. The force exerted by a hydraulic ram with a pressure of 5 tonnes is 882 KN for each hydraulic ram, and to resist a force of 1766 KN, two hydraulic rams are needed. The average pressure is ρgd, where d is 3m, g is 9.81 m-s^(-2), and ρ is 1e3 kg/m^3. 1 tonne is equal to 1000kg*g of force, but it is not a measure of pressure.
davekardle

Homework Statement

rectangle wall with 3m height, 20 length, 6.0m width.
Rectangle filled with water.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've calculated the force acting on the wall to be: 1766 KN

I have a hydraulic ram exerting 5 tonnes of pressure.

How many do I need ?

Homework Equations

F=P.A

Physics news on Phys.org
Average pressure = ρgd, d = 3m, g = 9.81 m-s^(-2), ρ = 1e3 kg/m^3.

So you know the force on each wall is ρAgd/2 assuming the walls can sustain max pressure of twice average pressure without breaking apart.

1 tonne = 1000kg*g of force. (It is not a measure of pressure but of force.)

The rest is 1st year high school algebra.

rude man said:
Average pressure = ρgd, d = 3m, g = 9.81 m-s^(-2), ρ = 1e3 kg/m^3.

So you know the force on each wall is ρAgd/2 assuming the walls can sustain max pressure of twice average pressure without breaking apart.

1 tonne = 1000kg*g of force. (It is not a measure of pressure but of force.)

The rest is 1st year high school algebra.

That's exactly what I did:

Here's how I done:

F on each wall= (1766KN)

1T/m^2 = 9800 pa
5T/m^2 = 49000 pa

Force exerted by the hydraulic ram on the wall = 49000 X ( Depth x width ) = 882 KN for each Hydraulic ram.

So, to resist an opposite force of 1766KN I will need 2 Hydraulic rams.

Is this right ? thanks

davekardle said:
F on each wall= (1766KN)

The force on two of your walls is greater than that on the other two since your room is not square-shaped.

(force = pressure x area)

In order to accurately determine the number of hydraulic rams needed to prevent the wall from collapsing, we need to consider a few factors. First, we need to calculate the total area of the wall that needs to be supported. This can be done by multiplying the length and width of the wall. In this case, the total area is 20m x 6.0m = 120m^2.

Next, we need to consider the maximum force that each hydraulic ram can exert. You have mentioned that your hydraulic ram can exert 5 tonnes of pressure, which is equivalent to 49.05 kN. Therefore, to support the entire wall, we would need at least 1766 kN/49.05 kN = 36 hydraulic rams.

However, it is important to note that this is a simplified calculation and does not take into account any safety factors or potential variations in the force exerted by each ram. It is always recommended to consult with a structural engineer to determine the exact number and placement of hydraulic rams needed to support a wall. Additionally, the design and material of the wall and the strength of the ground it is built on should also be considered in determining the number of hydraulic rams needed for adequate support.

Related to How many hydraulic rams do I need to prevent wall collapsing ?

What are hydraulic rams?

Hydraulic rams are mechanical devices that use the pressure of a liquid, typically oil, to exert force and move objects. They are commonly used in construction and engineering to lift heavy loads or stabilize structures.

How do hydraulic rams prevent wall collapsing?

Hydraulic rams can be used to push against the wall and provide support, preventing it from collapsing. The force exerted by the ram can counteract the weight and pressure on the wall, keeping it in place.

How many hydraulic rams do I need to prevent wall collapsing?

The number of hydraulic rams needed to prevent wall collapsing depends on several factors, such as the size and weight of the wall, the type of hydraulic rams being used, and the amount of pressure needed to stabilize the wall. It is best to consult with a structural engineer to determine the appropriate number of rams for your specific situation.

Can hydraulic rams be used for all types of walls?

While hydraulic rams can be used for many types of walls, the suitability of using them depends on the specific characteristics of the wall, such as its material, height, and condition. Again, it is best to consult with a structural engineer to determine if hydraulic rams are a suitable solution for your specific wall.

How long do hydraulic rams last?

The lifespan of hydraulic rams varies depending on the quality of the device and the frequency of use. On average, a well-maintained hydraulic ram can last up to 10 years. Regular maintenance and inspections can help prolong the lifespan of hydraulic rams.