How do I calculate thickness needed for a retaining wall?

In summary, the thickness of a retaining wall for a pond will depend on the depth of the pond, the area of the pond, the shear strength of the retaining material, and the unconfined compressive strength of the retaining material. The length of the retaining wall will only be on one side of the pond.
joe17857
I need to calculate the thickness needed for a retaining wall for a pond. The information I have is as follows:

Depth of pond, area of pond, shear strength of retaining material, unconfined compressive strength of retaining material, length of retaining wall (will only be on one side of pond). There will be no slope on the retaining wall.

How do I calculate the thickness of the retaining wall with a 1.7 factor of safety?

Engineering news on Phys.org
In my experiences in the trades, talking to the local inspector who will ultimately review the plans, and inspect the work is the most direct course of action.

Stop in his office, when he has office hours, and tell him you are there to make sure you satisfy HIS requirements, and he will usually take a liking to you, and your approach. After all, he doesn't want to visit your site more than he has to (they hate re-inspections), and he doesn't want to have an argument with you later, to get you to change your plan/prints to conform to his requirements - talking to him first, puts him in the driver's seat. It also greases the wheels of the inspection process, since he will already be intimately familiar with your project, before he arrives to inspect, or for that matter, before he reviews your construction plans. It can also save you a lot of time re-doing your work, whether it be on paper, or in the field, since you will know what he expects, before you even start drawing the plans.

Even if the location precludes an inspection requirement, the inspector can still be an invaluable resource. You pay his salary with your taxes - why not put him to work for you? If he mentions that a permit/inspection process is not required, just let him know that you have safety concerns, and you wanted to consult an expert authority on the project. More likely than not, he'll spend at least SOME time with you.

If you are looking for a purely academic answer, I'll leave that to others who are more familiar with the math involved.

Likes berkeman
For a tool-based approach to model and simulate your problem, or to cross check your own calculations, you might want to consider using a tool like Optum G2 which I know is used for providing upper and lower bound limit analysis (collapse) for real-world geotechnical problems. The tool is not free, but has a free trial. For sake of complete disclosure, I recently started as a software engineer at the company making this simulation tool and should be able offer help with the tool itself but I will have to refrain from offering any advice on the actual geotechnical modelling of your problem as that is well outside my area of professional expertise.

Likes berkeman

Related to How do I calculate thickness needed for a retaining wall?

1. How do I determine the height of the retaining wall?

The height of the retaining wall is determined by the height of the soil or material that needs to be retained. The wall should be at least 1.5 times the height of the retained material to ensure stability.

2. What factors should be considered when calculating the thickness of a retaining wall?

The thickness of a retaining wall is determined by the type of material used, the height of the wall, the soil conditions, and the angle of the slope being retained. Other factors to consider include the weight of the retained material and any additional loads such as water or vehicles.

3. How do I calculate the bearing capacity of the soil?

The bearing capacity of the soil can be calculated by conducting a soil test or consulting a geotechnical engineer. The test will determine the type and strength of the soil, which is important in determining the appropriate thickness for the retaining wall.

4. Can I use a generic formula to calculate the thickness of a retaining wall?

No, the thickness of a retaining wall should be calculated on a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration the specific factors mentioned above. Using a generic formula may result in an inadequate or unstable wall.

5. Are there any safety measures I should take when constructing a retaining wall?

Yes, there are several safety measures that should be taken when constructing a retaining wall. These include ensuring proper drainage, using quality materials, and following all building codes and regulations. It is also recommended to consult with a professional engineer to ensure the structural integrity of the wall.