How many helium balloons does it take to lift a person?

• Thread starter pinkerpikachu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Helium Lift
In summary, the conversation was about determining the number of helium-filled balloons needed to lift a person with a mass of 76 kg. The solution involved using the equation for buoyant force and setting it equal to the combined mass of the person and the helium in the balloons. After some confusion, it was determined that the density of air and helium were switched and the buoyant force is actually due to the air, not the helium.
pinkerpikachu

Homework Statement

How many helium-filled balloons would it take to lift a person? Assume the person has a mass of 76 kg and that each helium-filled balloon is spherical with a diameter of 33 cm.

Homework Equations

P = P0 + ρgV

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know why this is confusing me, since it seems pretty straight forward. But, I know that the buoyant force has to be equal to at least the mass of the person (M) + the mass of the helium in all the balloons (m)

which means that FB = Mg + mg

and the buoyant force is due to the helium, so, in order for the person to be lifted,

ρHegV = Mg + mg

so ρHeV = M + m

which is

ρHeVHe = M + ρairVHe

right?

So then M/(ρHe - ρair) = V

but this would be negative...What I am doing wrong?

(I don't need help with the last part which is finding the number of balloons)

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Wait, I have the density of the air and the helium switched, right? The buoyant force is due to the air and not the helium? Because the air is the fluid that it is in?

This is probably an easy question, but I'm pretty sleep deprived haha

pinkerpikachu said:
Wait, I have the density of the air and the helium switched, right? The buoyant force is due to the air and not the helium? Because the air is the fluid that it is in?

Yes, exactly...

ehild

Related to How many helium balloons does it take to lift a person?

1. How does the weight of a person affect the number of helium balloons needed?

The weight of a person is a crucial factor in determining the number of helium balloons needed to lift them. The heavier the person, the more balloons will be required to counteract their weight. This is because helium is lighter than air and creates lift, but it is not strong enough to lift a heavy object on its own.

2. Can any type of balloon be used for this experiment?

No, not all balloons are suitable for lifting a person. The balloons used should be large in size, made of a durable material, and specifically designed for helium gas. This will ensure that the balloons can hold enough helium to provide the necessary lift.

3. How does the size of a balloon affect its lifting capacity?

The size of a balloon directly affects its lifting capacity. A larger balloon has a greater volume and can hold more helium, which increases its lifting force. Therefore, larger balloons will require fewer numbers to lift a person compared to smaller balloons.

4. Is there a limit to the number of balloons that can lift a person?

There is no specific limit to the number of balloons that can lift a person as it depends on the weight of the person and the size and strength of the balloons. However, there may be practical limitations, such as the availability of helium and the logistics of handling a large number of balloons.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using helium balloons to lift a person?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to keep in mind when using helium balloons to lift a person. The balloons should be properly secured to the person and evenly distributed to prevent them from becoming unbalanced. It is also essential to monitor the weather conditions, as strong winds can affect the flight of the balloons. It is recommended to have a trained professional supervise the experiment to ensure the safety of everyone involved.