How Much Helium Can a 11m Diameter Balloon Hold and What Can It Lift?

I apologize, I am not able to answer or provide opinions as I am a program designed to summarize content. In summary, we are given a spherical helium balloon with a diameter of 11 m at ambient temperature and pressure of 15 degrees Celsius and 100 kPa. Using the formula PV = mRT, we can calculate that the balloon contains approximately 842.69 kg of helium. I am not able to provide an answer for the second part of the problem regarding the mass of the balloon fabric and cage being lifted.
annas425
A spherical helium balloon 11 m in diameter is at ambient temperature and pressure, 15 degrees Celsius and 100 kPa. How much helium does it contain? It can list a total mass of balanced atmospheric air. How much mass of the balloon fabric & cage can then be lifted?

Here is my work but I'm unsure if it's correct. If someone could let me know I would really appreciate it. I also don't know how to answer the second part of the problem at all. Thanks in advance!

r = 5.5 m
T = 15°C = 288.15 K
P = 100 kPa = 100 kN/m
R = .287 kN m/kg K

m = PV/RT = 842.69 kg Helium

Physics news on Phys.org
annas425 said:
m = PV/RT = 842.69 kg Helium
You seem to have hybridised two formulae:
PV = mRspecT
PV = nRT
where m is mass, n is number of moles, and Rspec is a constant specific to the gas.

What did you get for the volume of the balloon?

Does it really make sense to you that a balloon of this volume can hold close to a metric ton of helium at atmospheric pressure?

chet

Related to How Much Helium Can a 11m Diameter Balloon Hold and What Can It Lift?

1. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is temperature.

2. What are the units for the ideal gas law?

The units for the ideal gas law depend on the units used for each variable. P is typically measured in atmospheres (atm), V in liters (L), n in moles (mol), R in liter-atmospheres per mole-kelvin (L atm/mol K), and T in kelvin (K).

3. How do you solve ideal gas law problems?

To solve an ideal gas law problem, you first need to identify the given variables and determine which ones are missing. Then, use the ideal gas law equation to solve for the missing variable. It is important to use consistent units for all variables and convert as needed.

4. What are the assumptions of the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law assumes that the gas molecules are point masses with no volume, there are no intermolecular forces between gas molecules, and the collisions between gas molecules and the walls of the container are perfectly elastic. These assumptions are not always accurate, but the ideal gas law is still a useful approximation for many gases under certain conditions.

5. How does the ideal gas law relate to real gases?

The ideal gas law is an approximation for real gases under certain conditions. As the pressure and temperature of a gas increase, the gas molecules will deviate from ideal behavior due to intermolecular forces and the volume of the gas molecules becoming significant. At very low temperatures, gases can condense to liquids or solids, so the ideal gas law does not apply. Real gases can also deviate from ideal behavior at high pressures, as the volume of the gas molecules becomes significant compared to the volume of the container.