How many dimensions are there to space time?

In summary, Wild states that there are four possible spatial dimensions and one time dimension. There are also theories that predict there could be more than four dimensions, but we haven't found evidence for them yet.
Cyber Space
question stated in title.

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Four that we know of for sure: three spatial and one for time.

It takes four numbers to completely specify a place and a time. For example, "three meters above the Earth's surface, at zero degrees longitude and forty-five degrees latitude, at three seconds past midnight"

In our expanding universe, fixed spatial ordinates do not exist. This greatly complicates defining spatial locations. You could choose an arbitrary ordinate, like the center of earth, but, that is merely a local and temporary convenience. You could define an ordinate using more 'durable' objects, like supermassive black holes at the center of galaxies, but, measurement error would be an issue. Extra dimensions do not offer a solution to this dilemma.

In super string theory, there are predicted to be 10 dimensions. In string theory there are predicted to be approximately 26.

Obviously, these are just theories. Do not rely on this answer.

In general when people talk about spacetime, they consider the 4dimensional spacetime (1 time-3 spatial dimensions). Exceptions are stated beforehand. In general things can also work for any number of spatial dimensions, eg you can look for Kaluza-Klein theories which have 1 time and 4 spatial dimensions...

To the statement of Wild about strings and superstrings- some theories are able to predict the number of dimensions in order to be selfconsistent... you can have a 26 dim string theory (bosonic strings) which are actually not physical since they don't have fermions, or you can have 10 or 11 dimensions in superstring theories which consider the existence of fermions and could be more physical.

The next step is the worst... The extra spatial dimensions should be curled up/compactified so that you can't see them in practice (we only see 3 spatial dimensions). Considering I guess only gravity, the estimate is that they should be smaller than some micrometers (I guess less 3μm).

Likes 1 person
I think it's fair to say we don't know. Some theories suggest there might be more than four but we haven't found evidence they exist yet.

Some theories suggest the extra dimensions are curled up small and experiments have been done to try and put maximum size limits on those extra dimensions. At best we can say if this or that type of extra dimension exists it must be curled up smaller than some limit.

PS: Got to laugh. A google search for "size limit for extra dimensions" brings up lots of hits related to the size limits of airline carry on luggage.

I agree. Although, 3μm is no where near to invisible, especially with the advancement of the photon microscope. So, not only should we be able to observe string entanglements, we should be able to calculate a certain maximum potential of dimentions. This is assuming that it is not much less than 3μm.

@Wild, as I pointed out the limit is in case you consider only gravity to be able to live in those dimensions... For other interactions, it depends on how deep inside we are able to see so far (around less than 10^-18 m)

Thanks for clearing that up.

@Chris Do you prefer LQG or ST?

This question is nonsense ...
First of all, I don't think preferences matter.
Secondly, I don't know much about Strings (except for some basic stuff) and even more about LQG (nothing). They both are nice.
Finally, I prefer closer to "experimental verification" theories of physics, rather than pure mathematical ones (I'm closer to Glashow's idea on that- however I don't degrade the string theory, but see it as a toy... if it or LQG predict fine testable results so be it!). But that's a matter of "IMO".

Related to How many dimensions are there to space time?

1. How many dimensions are there to space time?

The current widely accepted theory of space and time, known as the theory of general relativity, describes the universe as having four dimensions: three dimensions of space and one dimension of time. However, there are other theories, such as string theory, that suggest the possibility of additional dimensions.

2. How do scientists know there are only four dimensions to space time?

The concept of four dimensions in space time is derived from the mathematical equations of general relativity, which have been extensively tested and have accurately predicted many observations and phenomena. Additionally, experiments such as the Michelson-Morley experiment have also provided evidence for the existence of four dimensions in space time.

3. Can human beings visualize the fourth dimension?

Unfortunately, our brains are limited to perceiving and understanding only three dimensions. While we can use mathematical models and simulations to conceptualize the fourth dimension, it is impossible for us to truly visualize it in the same way we visualize three-dimensional objects.

4. Are there any practical applications for understanding the dimensions of space time?

Understanding the dimensions of space time is crucial for many fields of science, such as physics and astronomy. It helps us to better understand the behavior of matter and energy in the universe, and has led to advancements in technology such as GPS and satellite communication.

5. Could there be more than four dimensions in space time?

While the theory of general relativity and current observations suggest four dimensions in space time, there are other theories, such as string theory, that propose the existence of additional dimensions. These theories are still being studied and researched, and it is currently unknown if there are indeed more than four dimensions in space time.