Exploring the 3 Dimensions of Space and Time

In summary, the dimensions of our universe are seen as 3 dimensions of space and time, as they describe the locations, distances, and sizes of objects. Matter is not considered a dimension, but rather a property of objects. It is important to understand the standard terminology in physics and to continue learning in order to fully grasp the why behind the laws and behaviors of the universe.
Jeffrey phalen
Why do we see the dimensions of our universe as 3 dimensions of space and time instead of space, time, and matter? (Or another variation)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Jeffrey phalen said:
Why do we see the dimensions of our universe as 3 dimensions of space and time instead of space, time, and matter? (Or another variation)
In what way do you think matter is, or even could be, a dimension? What is your sense of what the word dimension even means?

phinds said:
In what way do you think matter is, or even could be, a dimension? What is your sense of what the word dimension even means?
Well a dimension to me would be the various parts of what something is made of. Space is made of height, width, and depth. Time is hard to explain for me but I understand the concept. I see how we group the two together, but that would also imply that matter is a byproduct of space and time. I guess the way I am looking at it right now electromagnetics sprout from matter and precieved in space over time.

Jeffrey phalen said:
Well a dimension to me would be the various parts of what something is made of.
Have you even done any research at all on what a dimension is or are you just deciding that you can make up your own definition?

Space is made of height, width, and depth.
No, space is not "made" of anything. Space is just geometry. H, W, and D are just ways of measuring things IN space.
Time is hard to explain for me but I understand the concept. I see how we group the two together, but that would also imply that matter is a byproduct of space and time.
No, it would not.

I guess the way I am looking at it right now electromagnetics sprout from matter and precieved in space over time.
and in what way does that make matter a dimension?

Jeffrey, in physics you can't(*) just make up your own definitions of things, you need to get straight on what standard terminology means.

* Well, you CAN, but it will not end well :smile:

Likes russ_watters and Jeffrey phalen
Jeffrey phalen said:
This is not an answer, I'm just using your premise to try to count things...
Hmmm...
Space (height): 1 meter + 1 meter = 2 meters
Space (width): 1 meter + 1 meter = 2 meters
Space (depth): 1 meter + 1 meter = 2 meters
Time: 1 second + 1 second = 2 seconds

All ok and fine. And now...

Matter: 1 orange + 1 apple = ehh, what, 2 fruits? :confused:
(or 1 electron + 1 proton = what? 2 matter particles? What's the use of counting in this way, I wonder?)

Likes Jeffrey phalen and phinds
DennisN said:
This is not an answer, I'm just using your premise to try to count things...
Hmmm...
Space (height): 1 meter + 1 meter = 2 meters
Space (width): 1 meter + 1 meter = 2 meters
Space (depth): 1 meter + 1 meter = 2 meters
Time: 1 second + 1 second = 2 seconds

All ok and fine. And now...

Matter: 1 orange + 1 apple = ehh, what, 2 fruits? :confused:
(or 1 electron + 1 proton = what? 2 matter particles? What's the use of counting in this way, I wonder?)
I guess I'm thinking of it more atomically when
phinds said:
Have you even done any research at all on what a dimension is or are you just deciding that you can make up your own definition?

No, space is not "made" of anything. Space is just geometry. H, W, and D are just ways of measuring things IN space.
No, it would not.

and in what way does that make matter a dimension?

Jeffrey, in physics you can't(*) just make up your own definitions of things, you need to get straight on what standard terminology means.

* Well, you CAN, but it will not end well :smile:
I cannot argue with that, I guess I'm just realizing my class fully focuses on what and not why.

it sounds like you are still in school. this should help:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimension

In short though, dimensions describe locations/distances/sizes of objects.

Mass is a property of objects, not a dimension.

Likes Jeffrey phalen
Jeffrey phalen said:
I cannot argue with that, I guess I'm just realizing my class fully focuses on what and not why.

Don't worry. Learning the what leads to the why. In other words, as you learn more about physics, the why questions will begin to be answered as you are able to put more and more laws together to see how the universe behaves. If I were never to have seen an american football game before, and one day my friend takes me to a game, I could ask why the score goes up by six sometimes but two at other times. To answer my question, my friend would have to explain how the game works. Once I learn how it works, the why questions are also answered.

Likes Jeffrey phalen and phinds
Likes Jeffrey phalen

1. What are the 3 dimensions of space?

The 3 dimensions of space are length, width, and height. These dimensions allow us to describe the physical size and shape of objects in our universe.

2. How does time factor into the 3 dimensions of space?

Time is considered the 4th dimension in our universe. It is often described as the progression of events from the past, through the present, and into the future. Time is intertwined with the other 3 dimensions of space, as it affects the movement and position of objects.

3. What is the theory of relativity and how does it relate to the 3 dimensions of space and time?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the laws of space and time are relative, and can change depending on the perspective of the observer. The theory of relativity helps explain how the 3 dimensions of space and time are interconnected and how they affect the movement of objects.

4. Can we experience more than 3 dimensions of space and time?

While we can mathematically describe and understand more than 3 dimensions, it is currently believed that we can only experience and perceive 3 dimensions of space and 1 dimension of time. This is due to limitations of our senses and the physical laws of our universe.

5. How has our understanding of the 3 dimensions of space and time evolved over time?

Our understanding of the 3 dimensions of space and time has evolved greatly over time. Early civilizations believed in a flat Earth and a linear concept of time. However, through scientific discoveries and advancements, we now know that our universe is much more complex and multi-dimensional. The theories of relativity and quantum mechanics have greatly expanded our understanding of the 3 dimensions of space and time.