How many currents on a DC circuit?

In summary: V) = (1 \Omega)i_1 + (1 \Omega)i_2 + (3 \Omega)i_2 and the i_2s in...(-1 V) = (3 \Omega)i_1 - (2 \Omega)i_2 ... and we're finally done! Please refer to the final attachment, which has all the equations organized nicely. In summary, you should calculate the current through each resistor in a circuit using Ohm's law, then use Kirchhoff's laws to determine the direction of the current.
Juan Pablo
I understand pretty much everything related to this, except how many currents should I put when arbitrarly putting them. The number of resistors? The number of wires? The number of loops?

I'm seriously lost here, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to analyze a circuit? You should start by showing us the circuit.

- Warren

No specific circuit here, just a general question. Is there a general answer?

If all you're doing is trying to find the dc current through a circuit composed of batteries and resistors, then all you need is Ohm's law. The current through each resistor is equal to the voltage across that resistor divided by its resistance. The current through one resistor is not necessarily related in any way to the current through any other.

- Warren

Yes, but I'm trying to analyze more complex circuits using Kirchhoff's laws. The first step on my book is assigning the direction of currents arbitrarly. However, I'm not sure how many different currents should I put. Thanks.

I like to use current "loops" so to speak, such that each loop starts and ends in the same place. If each component in the circuit has at least one current associated with it, you should be able to formulate your simultaneous equations. Note that some components may have multiple currents associated with it. So when calculating the voltage drops of components with multiple currents, use the impedance of the component, multiplied by the sum of the currents going through that component (always keeping track of the signs, because the currents can be in opposite directions).

So my advise is just to make sure that each component in the circuit has at least one current loop going through it. After that, you can stop defining currents and move on to your equations.

You'll find that there are often multiple ways/choices of defining current loops that meet this criterion. But it shouldn't affect the final results.

Juan Pablo said:
I understand pretty much everything related to this, except how many currents should I put when arbitrarly putting them. The number of resistors? The number of wires? The number of loops?

I'm seriously lost here, thanks!

There could be a different current through every battery or resistance, except if they are
in series, so all those currents will need a variable.

Allow me to elaborate on I wrote in post #6.

I've added some attachments that you can click on below for reference.

The first attachment shows an example circuit.

The next two attachments show different ways that we've going to solve this problem, using different current loops (same circuit, just different current loops). Assume that we are solving for the voltage across the 3 Ohm resistor.

Solution 1:
Please refer to second attachment, where there are two small loops. We sum together the voltages going around each loop. Since there are two current loops there are two equations:

[tex] (-1 V) + (1 \Omega)i_1 + (2 \Omega)(i_1 - i_2) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] (2 V) + (3 \Omega)i_2 + (2 \Omega)(i_2 - i_1) = 0 [/tex]

We can re-write each simultaneous equation, simplifying things somewhat,

[tex] (1 V) = (1 \Omega)i_1 + (2 \Omega)i_1 - (2 \Omega)i_2 [/tex]

[tex] (-2 V) = (3 \Omega)i_2 + (2 \Omega)i_2 - (2 \Omega)i_1 [/tex]

Factor the [tex] i_1s [/tex] in the first equation and the [tex] i_2s [/tex] in the second equation,

[tex] (1 V) = (3 \Omega)i_1 - (2 \Omega)i_2 [/tex]

[tex] (-2 V) = -(2 \Omega)i_1 + (5 \Omega)i_2 [/tex]

From here, there are a few ways we can go to solve this pair of simultaneous equations. There's linear algebra, substitution, and what I'm going to use here. We're really interested in [tex] i_2 [/tex] since that will give us the voltage across R3. But we need to eliminate [tex] i_1 [/tex] somehow. So let's multiply everything in the top equation by 2 and everything in the bottom equation by 3, in anticipation of adding the two equations together later.

[tex] (2 V) = (6 \Omega)i_1 - (4 \Omega)i_2 [/tex]

[tex] (-6 V) = -(6 \Omega)i_1 + (15 \Omega)i_2 [/tex]

Now add them together.

[tex] (-4 V) = (11 \Omega)i_2 [/tex]

or simply [tex] i_2 = -\frac{4}{11} A [/tex]

which gives us

[tex] V_{OUT} = (3 \Omega)(-\frac{4}{11} A) = -\frac{12}{11} V [/tex]

Solution 2:
We can also solve the problem using totally different current loops. Refer to the third attachment that has one little loop to the left and another big loop that goes all the way around the circuit. The equations for these loops are (starting with the smaller loop):

[tex] (-1 V) + (1 \Omega)(i_1 + i_2) + (2 \Omega)i_1 = 0 [/tex]

[tex] (-1 V) + (1 \Omega)(i_1 + i_2) + (2 V) + (3 \Omega)i_2 = 0 [/tex]

Simplifying again like before gives us,

[tex] (1 V) = (1 \Omega)i_1 + (1 \Omega)i_2 + (2 \Omega)i_1 [/tex]

[tex] (-1 V) = (1 \Omega)i_1 + (1 \Omega)i_2 + (3 \Omega)i_2 [/tex]

Factor the [tex] i_1s [/tex] in the first equation and the [tex] i_2s [/tex] in the second equation,

[tex] (1 V) = (3 \Omega)i_1 + (1 \Omega)i_2 [/tex]

[tex] (-1 V) = (1 \Omega)i_1 + (4 \Omega)i_2 [/tex]

In an attempt to get rid of [tex] i_1 [/tex], we multiply the bottom equation by -3, in anticipation of adding the equations together.

[tex] (1 V) = (3 \Omega)i_1 + (1 \Omega)i_2 [/tex]

[tex] (3 V) = (-3 \Omega)i_1 + (-12 \Omega)i_2 [/tex]

Now we add the equations together,

[tex] (4 V) = (-11 \Omega)i_2 [/tex]

making

[tex] i_2 = -\frac{4}{11} A [/tex]

Thus

[tex] V_{OUT} = (3 \Omega)(-\frac{4}{11} A) = -\frac{12}{11} V [/tex]

Summary:

Different current loops, same answer. Just make sure that each component in the circuit has at least one current loop going through it.

Oh, and you'll make things easier on yourself if you don't create any new current loops containing only components already associated with other loops. In other words, when defining current loops, its best to start with components that don't have any loops associated with them already. Once all the components in the circuit are associated with at least one loop, stop there (and then move on to writing down the simultaneous equations).

Attachments

• Circuit for PF.png
    Circuit for PF.png
    3 KB · Views: 403
  • Circuit for PF _1st.png
    Circuit for PF _1st.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 394
  • Circuit for PF _2nd.png
    Circuit for PF _2nd.png
    5 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
How kind! That was really useful collinsmark. Thanks a lot!

Related to How many currents on a DC circuit?

1. How do you calculate the number of currents in a DC circuit?

The number of currents in a DC circuit can be calculated using Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL). KCL states that the sum of all currents entering a node must equal the sum of all currents leaving that node. Therefore, the number of currents in a DC circuit will be equal to the number of nodes.

2. Can there be more than one current in a single branch of a DC circuit?

No, there can only be one current in a single branch of a DC circuit. This is because there is only one path for the current to flow in a series circuit. In parallel circuits, the current will divide into multiple branches, but each branch will still only have one current.

3. Do all components in a DC circuit have the same current?

No, not all components in a DC circuit will have the same current. The current will vary depending on the resistance of the component. Ohm's Law states that current is equal to voltage divided by resistance, so components with different resistances will have different currents.

4. Is the number of currents in a DC circuit affected by the voltage source?

No, the number of currents in a DC circuit is not affected by the voltage source. The voltage source determines the potential difference in the circuit, but the number of currents is determined by the number of nodes in the circuit.

5. Can the number of currents change in a DC circuit?

Yes, the number of currents in a DC circuit can change if the circuit is modified. For example, adding or removing components can change the number of nodes and therefore the number of currents. However, the number of currents will remain constant as long as the circuit remains unchanged.