How many 5-digit briefcase combinations contain

• Thread starter cronuscronus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combinations
In summary: Thanks for the clarification!In summary, you can choose any digit from 1-9 and calculate the combinations without replacement. There are 100,000 different 5-digit numbers.
cronuscronus
Hi all. I wanted to double check some of my work, and get some feedback if there's any errors. Any help is appreciated!

a) A particular digit (say 5, for example).
Essentially we're choosing one digit. 10C1 is 10, and we have 5 slots, so the answer here is 10^5 = 100,000 combinations.

b) A pair and three other distinct digits. (e.g 27421)
Here we are really just choosing 4 distinct digits. So we calculate the combinations without replacement. 10*9*8*7 = 5,040 combinations.

c) Two pairs of distinct digits and 1 other distinct digit. (e.g
12215)
Here we are choosing 3 distinct digits. So we calculate the combinations without replacement. 10*9*8 = 720 combinations.

d) A palindrome of length 5 (e.g. 12321 , or 11111 or 12221)
The first digit can be selected from 1-9. The next digit can be selected from 0-9. The next digit can also be selected from 0-9. The last two digits are determined.

So we can calculate 9*10^2 = 900 5-digit palindromes.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
cronuscronus said:
Hi all. I wanted to double check some of my work, and get some feedback if there's any errors. Any help is appreciated!

a) A particular digit (say 5, for example).
Essentially we're choosing one digit. 10C1 is 10, and we have 5 slots, so the answer here is 10^5 = 100,000 combinations.
Does that make sense? All told, there are 100,000 different 5-digit numbers, with no requirements that any of them be any particular number.
cronuscronus said:
b) A pair and three other distinct digits. (e.g 27421)
Here we are really just choosing 4 distinct digits. So we calculate the combinations without replacement. 10*9*8*7 = 5,040 combinations.

c) Two pairs of distinct digits and 1 other distinct digit. (e.g
12215)
Here we are choosing 3 distinct digits. So we calculate the combinations without replacement. 10*9*8 = 720 combinations.

d) A palindrome of length 5 (e.g. 12321 , or 11111 or 12221)
The first digit can be selected from 1-9. The next digit can be selected from 0-9. The next digit can also be selected from 0-9. The last two digits are determined.

So we can calculate 9*10^2 = 900 5-digit palindromes.

Thanks for the help!

Hi Mark. It makes sense in my head because if it can be any particular digit, then it can be any digit. Is this incorrect?

Yes, I believe that is incorrect. "Any particular digit" doesn't mean "any old digit at random." For example, if you're looking for all the numbers with, say, a 5 in the most significant digit, there are 104 different possiblilites.

Likes 1 person
Hi Mark. I think that makes sense. We essentially remove it from the number of digits since it was already chosen? The other 4 slots are just the combinations of the chosen digit?

How do the rest look to you? I think I'm getting it :).

Related to How many 5-digit briefcase combinations contain

1. How many 5-digit briefcase combinations are possible?

There are a total of 100,000 possible combinations for a 5-digit briefcase lock. This is because each digit can range from 0 to 9, and there are five digits in a 5-digit combination.

2. Is it possible to have a briefcase combination with repeating digits?

Yes, it is possible to have a briefcase combination with repeating digits. For example, a combination of 11111 is a valid 5-digit combination.

3. How many attempts would it take to guess a 5-digit briefcase combination?

If the person guessing knows that the combination contains only numbers and has 5 digits, then it would take an average of 50,000 attempts to guess the correct combination. This is because each digit has a 1 in 10 chance of being correct, and there are five digits.

4. Can a briefcase combination be reset to a new combination?

Yes, briefcase combinations can be reset to a new combination. Most briefcases have a reset button or instructions on how to change the combination.

5. Are there any patterns or sequences to briefcase combinations?

No, briefcase combinations are typically random and do not follow any specific pattern or sequence. This makes it more difficult for someone to guess the combination without knowing it beforehand.