How long will it take for one cylinder to turn one revolution?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the time it takes for a cylinder to turn one revolution when it is initially at rest. The equation (Theta)f=(Theta)i+(alpha)(deltaT) is used, but it is noted that the formula for angular kinematic equations is similar to their linear counterparts. It is also mentioned that if certain variables, such as initial angular velocity, are zero, they can be dropped from the equations.
ScienceGeek24

Homework Statement

A cylinder is initially at rest, how long will it take for the cylinder to turn one revolution?

Homework Equations

(Theta)f=(Theta)i+(alpha)(deltaT)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the distance of the cylinder to turn one revolution is 2Pi over speed. My speed was 0.05 rad/s so i divided 2Pi/0.05 rad/s and it did not give me the right time which is 15.9 sec. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
ScienceGeek24 said:

Homework Statement

A cylinder is initially at rest, how long will it take for the cylinder to turn one revolution?

Homework Equations

(Theta)f=(Theta)i+(alpha)(deltaT)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the distance of the cylinder to turn one revolution is 2Pi over speed. My speed was 0.05 rad/s so i divided 2Pi/0.05 rad/s and it did not give me the right time which is 15.9 sec. Help?
Somehow, this problem, as stated, is rather incomplete.

If the cylinder is initially at rest, what makes it move at all? ... or what describes its subsequent motion?

ok sorry for not being specific.

this question is the second part of the firsst question which is this one.

A solid cylinder is pivoted about a frictionless axle as shown. A rope wrapped around the outer radius of 2 m exerts a downward force of 3N. A rope wrapped around the inner radius of 0.7 m exerts a force of 8 N to the right. The moment of inertia of the cylinder is 8 kg m^2. Find the angular acceleration.

I found the solution to this one by t=+-rFsin(theta) here is the specifics https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=583881

However, my solution to the first part of the problem was the sum of all torque forces Sumt=I(alpha)

-Rfsin(theta)+rFsin(theta)=I(alpha) I had my Moment of inertia giving my the problem so all i had to do was to solve for (alpha) which gave me 0.05 rads/s.

The second part of the problem says,

If the cylinder in problem 10 is initially at rest, how long will it take for the cylinder to turn one revolution??

That is the part where i use (Theta)f=(Theta)i+(alpha)(deltaT) and solve for t but it did not give me the right answer.

ScienceGeek24 said:
ok sorry for not being specific.

this question is the second part of the firsst question which is this one.

A solid cylinder is pivoted about a frictionless axle as shown. A rope wrapped around the outer radius of 2 m exerts a downward force of 3N. A rope wrapped around the inner radius of 0.7 m exerts a force of 8 N to the right. The moment of inertia of the cylinder is 8 kg m^2. Find the angular acceleration.

I found the solution to this one by t=+-rFsin(theta) here is the specifics https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=583881

However, my solution to the first part of the problem was the sum of all torque forces Sumt=I(alpha)

-Rfsin(theta)+rFsin(theta)=I(alpha) I had my Moment of inertia giving my the problem so all i had to do was to solve for (alpha) which gave me 0.05 rads/s.

The second part of the problem says,

If the cylinder in problem 10 is initially at rest, how long will it take for the cylinder to turn one revolution??
Assuming that α is angular acceleration, it should have units of rad/s2 , not rad/s .

yes yes sorry for that one.

ScienceGeek24 said:
That is the part where i use (Theta)f=(Theta)i+(alpha)(deltaT) and solve for t but it did not give me the right answer.

Angular kinematic equations have direct parallels to their linear counterparts. If θ is angular position, and ##\alpha## is angular acceleration, then your formula above is equivalent, in linear terms, to

## x_f = x_i + at ##

which is not correct. Appropriate linear formulas are:

##v_f = v_i + a t## and ##x_f = x_i + v_i t + (1/2)a t^2##.

and their angular counterparts:

##\omega_f = \omega_i + \alpha t## and ##\theta_f = \theta_i + \omega_i t + (1/2)\alpha t^2##.

hmm which one should I use because I don't have angular velocity I only have angular acceleration. How can i start up with?

ScienceGeek24 said:
hmm which one should I use because I don't have angular velocity I only have angular acceleration. How can i start up with?

You drop any terms that are zero from the equations. For example, if ωi is zero, then ωit will always be zero.

Related to How long will it take for one cylinder to turn one revolution?

1. What is the definition of "one revolution" in this context?

In the context of cylinders, one revolution refers to a full 360 degree rotation of the cylinder around its axis.

2. How is the speed of rotation measured?

The speed of rotation is typically measured in revolutions per minute (RPM) or radians per second (rad/s).

3. What factors affect the time it takes for one revolution?

The time it takes for one revolution can be affected by the size and shape of the cylinder, the material it is made of, the surface it is rotating on, and any external forces acting on it.

4. Can the time for one revolution be calculated?

Yes, the time for one revolution can be calculated using the formula: time = (360 degrees / rotational speed) or time = (2π radians / rotational speed).

5. How can the time for one revolution be measured experimentally?

The time for one revolution can be measured by using a stopwatch to time the cylinder for a full rotation, or by using sensors and data collection software to track the rotational speed and calculate the time.