Finding angular acceleration from revolutions and velocity

In summary, an object starting from rest and reaching a final angular velocity of 6 rad/s while making 2 complete revolutions can be solved using the equation wf^2=wi^2+2αd. Since the distance traveled is not given, the number of revolutions (2) can be used in place of the distance. By substituting the given values, the resulting angular acceleration is 1.43 rad/s^2. Without the answer, it is difficult to determine the accuracy of the solution.
hpthgpjo

Homework Statement

an object starts from rest and has a final angular velocity of 6 rad/s. the object makes 2 complete revolutions. find the object's angular acceleration.

Homework Equations

wf^2=wi^2+2αd

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure what to do with the revolutions, would it take act as the distance traveled? I am not given the radius, so the most I can do is:
6^2=0+2α(2rev*2π)
α=1.43rad/s^2
I'm not given the answer for this question so I am not sure if I am right or extremely wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
hpthgpjo said:

Homework Statement

an object starts from rest and has a final angular velocity of 6 rad/s. the object makes 2 complete revolutions. find the object's angular acceleration.

Homework Equations

wf^2=wi^2+2αd

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure what to do with the revolutions, would it take act as the distance traveled? I am not given the radius, so the most I can do is:
6^2=0+2α(2rev*2π)
α=1.43rad/s^2
I'm not given the answer for this question so I am not sure if I am right or extremely wrong
Looks good.

alright thank you!

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which an object changes its angular velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating or revolving.

2. How is angular acceleration related to revolutions and velocity?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. In the case of revolutions and velocity, angular velocity is measured in revolutions per unit of time, such as revolutions per second, so the resulting angular acceleration will also be in revolutions per unit of time squared.

3. Can angular acceleration be negative?

Yes, angular acceleration can be negative. This occurs when an object is slowing down its rotation or revolution, resulting in a decrease in angular velocity. A negative angular acceleration is also known as deceleration.

4. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration measures the change in angular velocity, while linear acceleration measures the change in linear velocity. Angular acceleration is specific to rotational motion, while linear acceleration is specific to linear motion.

5. What is the formula for calculating angular acceleration?

The formula for angular acceleration is: angular acceleration = (change in angular velocity) / (change in time). It is typically represented by the symbol alpha (α) and its unit of measurement is radians per second squared (rad/s²).