How Long Until the Ball Hits the Ground?

• MHB
  • Thread starter YOLOSWAG1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the problem is asking for the time it takes for a ball thrown straight up with an initial velocity of +10 m/s and starting at a height of 1m to hit the ground, given the acceleration due to gravity of -9.81m/s^2. The appropriate kinematic equation to use is x = x0 + v0t + at^2/2. After plugging in the given values and simplifying, we get the equation 0=1+10t-4.905t^2, which can be solved using the quadratic formula.
YOLOSWAG1
Problem Statement: A boy throws a ball straight up into the air with an initial velocity of +10 m/s, from a height of 1m. Note that the acceleration due to gravity is −9.81m/s2. When does the ball hit the ground?

So I know that the Target Variable is Time, however I'm not sure which of the four kinematic equations I should use.

I thought I would use; x = x0 + v0t + at2/2, but I keep getting stuck.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Where exactly are you getting stuck? Your equation is correct, but can you show what you have tried so far?

Sure, after plugging in all the givens I got this; 0=1m+10m/s(time)+[(-9.81m/s^2)(time^2)/2]

Now when I try to isolate the target variable, time, I get incoherent stuff like this; 2(-1m/(10m/s)*(-9.81m/s^2))=t+t^2

If you divide by 10 on one side, you need to divide by 10 on the other side too, so that's incorrect. You don't need to isolate the variable t, though. You already have it in a form where the quadratic formula can be applied to it:
$$0=1+10t- \frac{9.81}{2}t^2 = 1+10t-4.905t^2.$$
(The units cancel out, so all the terms have dimensions of length.) Have you been introduced to the quadratic formula yet?

Last edited:

Based on the given information, the kinematic equation you should use is x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2, where x0 is the initial height (1m), v0 is the initial velocity (+10 m/s), and a is the acceleration due to gravity (-9.81m/s^2). The target variable, as you correctly identified, is time (t).

To solve for the time when the ball hits the ground, we can set x = 0 (since the ground is at a height of 0) and solve for t. This gives us the following equation:

0 = 1 + 10t - 4.905t^2

Solving for t using the quadratic formula, we get two solutions: t = 0.204s and t = 2.047s. However, since the initial velocity is positive (+10 m/s), we can discard the negative solution and conclude that the ball will hit the ground after 2.047 seconds.

Therefore, the answer to the problem is that the ball will hit the ground after 2.047 seconds.

Related to How Long Until the Ball Hits the Ground?

What is the best approach to solving a physics problem?

The best approach to solving a physics problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts and use a systematic method. This can include drawing diagrams, writing out equations, and identifying known and unknown variables.

How do I know which equations to use for a physics problem?

The equations you use for a physics problem will depend on the specific variables given in the problem. It is important to understand the concepts and principles behind each equation in order to determine which one is most appropriate to use.

Can I use a calculator or formula sheet when solving a physics problem?

Yes, it is acceptable to use a calculator or formula sheet when solving a physics problem. In fact, it is often necessary to use these tools in order to accurately calculate values and solve equations.

What should I do if I am stuck on a physics problem?

If you are stuck on a physics problem, try taking a step back and reviewing the information given. It can also be helpful to try solving the problem using a different approach or consulting with a classmate or teacher for assistance.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, practice regularly and review concepts and equations frequently. It can also be helpful to work on a variety of different types of problems and seek help when needed.