How Long Until the Arrow Hits the Rock in Helm's Deep?

• Thread starter LeHotDoge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematic
In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem involving the simultaneous release of a rock and an arrow from different points, and their collision midair. The problem is approached using equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration, but the solutions provided are incorrect. The helper suggests that the equation used is wrong and advises the person to try again with hints instead of directly giving a solution.
LeHotDoge

Homework Statement

Picture yourself in the castle of Helm's Deep from the Lord of the Rings. You are on top of the castle wall and are dropping rocks on assorted monsters that are 19.10 m below you. Just when you release a rock, an archer located exactly below you shoots an arrow straight up toward you with an initial velocity of 45.0 m/s. The arrow hits the rock in midair. How long after you release the rock does this happen?

Homework Equations

delta x = vot + at^2

v=vo+at

v^2=vo^2+2a(delta x)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

the initial velocity of the rock is 0, the acceleration of the rock is -9.8 m/s^2, the total displacement is -19.10 m.
delta x = vot + at^2
-19.10 = 0 + (-9.8)(t)^2
1.948 = t^2
t for rock =1.395 s
the initial velocity of the arrow is 45 m/s, the total displacement is 19.10m, and the acceleration is -9.8m/s^2
delta x = vot + at^2
19.10 = (45)(t) + at^2
19.10-45t=at^2
19.10-45=at
-25.9=(-9.8)(t)
2.642=t for arrow
t for arrow - t for rock = amount of time before they meet
2.642 s - 1.395 s = 1.247s

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you cannot do it this way. The rock will not fall all the way before hitting the arrow and the arrow will not go all the way up before hitting the rock. Furthermore, the times they both take from being released until hitting each other must be the same, since they are released simultaneously and hit each other simultaneously.

In addition, your arithmetic for the solutions is also wrong. In particular that for the arrow:
LeHotDoge said:
19.10-45t=at^2
19.10-45=at

Orodruin said:
No, you cannot do it this way. The rock will not fall all the way before hitting the arrow and the arrow will not go all the way up before hitting the rock. Furthermore, the times they both take from being released until hitting each other must be the same, since they are released simultaneously and hit each other simultaneously.

In addition, your arithmetic for the solutions is also wrong. In particular that for the arrow:
Thank you for responding, I realize my solution is wrong, that is why I posted here.

LeHotDoge said:

Homework Equations

delta x = vot + at^2
The equation is wrong. Check.

LeHotDoge said:
Thank you for responding, I realize my solution is wrong, that is why I posted here.
So based on the comments you have received so far, how would you change it?

If you are looking for someone to give you a solution, this is not how we operate at Physics Forums. We believe it is much more effective learning if you do the problem yourself based on hints from helpers.

Related to How Long Until the Arrow Hits the Rock in Helm's Deep?

1. What are the three kinematic equations?

The three kinematic equations are:
1. v = u + at (Equation for calculating final velocity)
2. s = ut + 1/2at^2 (Equation for calculating displacement)
3. v^2 = u^2 + 2as (Equation for calculating final velocity without time)

2. How do I know which kinematic equation to use?

You can determine which kinematic equation to use based on the known variables. If you have the initial and final velocity, acceleration, and time, you can use the first equation. If you have the initial velocity, acceleration, and displacement, you can use the second equation. If you have the initial and final velocity, acceleration, and displacement, you can use the third equation.

3. What is the meaning of each variable in the kinematic equations?

The variables in the kinematic equations stand for:
v - final velocity
u - initial velocity
a - acceleration
t - time
s - displacement

4. How do I solve a kinematic equation problem?

To solve a kinematic equation problem, you need to identify the known variables and plug them into the appropriate equation. Then, you can rearrange the equation to solve for the unknown variable. It is important to pay attention to units and use the correct formula for the given scenario.

5. Can the kinematic equations be used for any type of motion?

Yes, the kinematic equations can be used for any type of motion as long as the motion is constant acceleration. This means that the acceleration remains constant throughout the motion. These equations are commonly used in projectile motion, free-falling objects, and circular motion.