How Long Does It Take for a Child to Swing Back and Forth on a Tire Swing?

• Thread starter xnitexlitex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the problem involves a tire swing being hung from two horizontal tree branches with different elevations. The swing is considered a restricted pendulum and the question is asking for the time it takes for a 28.5 kg child to complete one swing back and forth. Using the equation T=2∏√I/mgd, the solution requires finding the length of the pendulum and taking into account the change in pivot point when the rope comes in contact with the lower branch. The length of the pendulum is calculated to be 8.99m for the long pendulum and 5.12m for the short pendulum, and the time period is determined using the expression T = 2∏√
xnitexlitex

Homework Statement

A horizontal tree branch is directly above another horizontal tree branch. The elevation of the higher branch is 9.45 m above the ground, and the elevation of the lower branch is 5.58 m above the ground. Some children decide to use the two branches to hold a tire swing. One end of the tire swing's rope is tied to the higher tree branch so that the bottom of the tire swing is 0.46 m above the ground. This swing is thus a restricted pendulum. Starting with the complete length of the rope at an initial angle of 14.6° with respect to the vertical, how long does it take a child of mass 28.5 kg to complete one swing back and forth?

Homework Equations

T=2∏√I/mgd

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the T=2∏√I/mgd equation, but I'm having trouble finding d because I don't know where the center of mass is. Also, What branch would I use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did this problem come with a picture? It sounds to me that at the bottom of the swing the rope then comes in contact with the lower branch and this branch becomes the new pivot point. If that is the case then the period would be double the time it takes the child to reach the bottom of the swing + double the time it takes the child to reach their peak height when the pivot changes to the lower branch (the doubling comes from the symmetry of the pendulum).

I agree with JHamm. Unless there is some essential information missing I think this is a long pendulum for 1/2 of the cycle and a short pendulum for the other 1/2.
I make the length of the long pendulum 8.99m and the length of the short pendulum 5.12m.
The time period for a pendulum is a straight forward expression.
T = 2∏√l/g

Related to How Long Does It Take for a Child to Swing Back and Forth on a Tire Swing?

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a simple device that consists of a weight suspended from a string or rod. When the weight is pulled to one side and released, it will swing back and forth in a regular pattern.

2. What factors affect the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum, which is the time it takes for one complete swing, is affected by the length of the string, the mass of the weight, and the gravitational force.

3. How do I calculate the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the string in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

4. Why does the period of a pendulum remain constant?

The period of a pendulum remains constant because the force of gravity is always acting on the weight, causing it to accelerate towards the center of the earth at a constant rate. This means that the speed of the pendulum at any point in its swing is also constant, resulting in a consistent period.

5. How can I use a pendulum to measure the acceleration due to gravity?

To use a pendulum to measure the acceleration due to gravity, you can measure the length of the string and the period of the pendulum's swing. Then, plug these values into the equation g = (4π^2L)/T^2, where g is the acceleration due to gravity. This method is known as the "simple pendulum method" and is accurate for small angles of swing.