How long does a ray of light travel for based on ITS time scale

In summary, the faster speed an object has, the faster time passes on the object. Time passes more slowly in a moving frame by a factor of Gamma=1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2).
swraman
Hi,

Ive been readin about relativity, I am a little confused.

The faster speed an object has, the faster time passes on the object.

So how long does say a ray of light take to get from teh sun to the earth? It is ~8.5 of our minutes, but say I were on the ray of light; traveling with it as soon as it left the sun towards . How long would my trip to the Earth be?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, time passes more slowly in a moving frame by a factor of Gamma=1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2). Since a light beam travels at c, time does not pass at all. You can't "travel along with the light beam" , because you have mass and it would take an infinite amount of energy to accelerate you to the speed of light. However, if you could travel along with the light beam, you would experience no time passing at all. In other words, the light beam leaving the sun and the light beam arriving at the Earth are simultaneous events.

You can't travel along a beam of light; it goes with the speed of light.

We've been getting this question twice a week lately. Please check out some of the other threads, e.g. this one (which is still only half-way down the first page). The correct answer isn't "zero" as phyzguy is suggesting. It's that the question doesn't make sense. I explained the reasons in several of the other threads.

While you can say that it is in some sense a meaningless question, since you can't travel along the light beam (as I said in my post), it is clearly a true statement that all events along the light beam are simultaneous in any reference frame.

So in the simple context in which the questions was asked, I think the correct answer to the OP's question is that "Time stands still along the light beam". I've read some of the other posts on this topic, and IMHO they are simply too pedantic.

phyzguy said:
While you can say that it is in some sense a meaningless question, since you can't travel along the light beam (as I said in my post), it is clearly a true statement that all events along the light beam are simultaneous in any reference frame.
Actually they're not simultaneous in any inertial frame.

phyzguy said:
I've read some of the other posts on this topic, and IMHO they are simply too pedantic.
Some of them might be (in particular the ones that point out that photons aren't conscious), but I don't think mine are.

Related to How long does a ray of light travel for based on ITS time scale

1. How is the speed of light determined?

The speed of light is determined by dividing the distance it travels by the time it takes to travel that distance. This is calculated to be approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. What is the time scale used for measuring the travel of light?

The time scale used for measuring the travel of light is the speed of light in a vacuum. This is considered to be a constant and is used as the basis for the measurement of time for light to travel.

3. How long does it take for light to travel from the sun to the Earth?

It takes approximately 8 minutes and 20 seconds for light to travel from the sun to Earth. This is calculated based on the distance between the two bodies and the speed of light in a vacuum.

4. Can the speed of light be influenced by other factors?

No, the speed of light is a constant and is not influenced by other factors. It is considered to be one of the fundamental constants of the universe.

5. Can light travel for an infinite amount of time?

Yes, light can theoretically travel for an infinite amount of time. However, as it travels through space, it may be absorbed or scattered by particles, which can cause its intensity to decrease over time.