How Long Does a Flea Stay in the Air After Jumping? Find Out Now!

In summary: Sure. And incidentally, it has the same V1 speed when it reaches the ground again just different direction.
jnimagine
A flea jumps straight up to 0.390m. How long does it stay in the air from the time it jumps up to the time it lands?

First of all, I found the initial velocity.
with the initial velocity, i tried using the equation d = v1t + 1/2at^2 to get the time.
but apparently it's wrong...;;

How do you figure this out?

Physics news on Phys.org
jnimagine said:
A flea jumps straight up to 0.390m. How long does it stay in the air from the time it jumps up to the time it lands?

First of all, I found the initial velocity.
with the initial velocity, i tried using the equation d = v1t + 1/2at^2 to get the time.
but apparently it's wrong...;;

How do you figure this out?

How long to fall from that height?

Double it, because it must have taken just as long to get up there.

LowlyPion said:
How long to fall from that height?

Double it, because it must have taken just as long to get up there.

so the distance I find from the above equation is just one way??
d = v1t +1/2at^2
v1 would be the initial speed I found and once I find t using quadratic equation, if I double it, then it would be the total time it was in the air for going up and then coming back down?

jnimagine said:
so the distance I find from the above equation is just one way??
d = v1t +1/2at^2
v1 would be the initial speed I found and once I find t using quadratic equation, if I double it, then it would be the total time it was in the air for going up and then coming back down?

Why bother with the velocity when the height yields time directly?

LowlyPion said:
Why bother with the velocity when the height yields time directly?

so... which equation do i use if I don't use v1??

jnimagine said:
so... which equation do i use if I don't use v1??

Which equation relates distance and time with constant acceleration?

LowlyPion said:
Which equation relates distance and time with constant acceleration?

d, t, and a...
the only thing i can think of is d = v1t + 1/2at^2...T.T
is it wrong to use this equation and double it??
hmm... i can't think of another equation...:(

the thing is I already found v1 which was asked in the previous part...
but i don't know if using d+v1t + 1/2at^2 and doubling the answer makes sense...:|

jnimagine said:
the thing is I already found v1 which was asked in the previous part...
but i don't know if using d+v1t + 1/2at^2 and doubling the answer makes sense...:|

It's a uniform gravitational field. That means that motion will have symmetry. That at every point on the way up, the object will have the same velocity magnitude, albeit reversed in direction, on the way down.

Since you know at apogee that it has velocity of 0, then the time to drop is given by X = 1/2 a*t2.

But since that is only half the trip ... double it.

Why?

Because you can.

Good luck.

LowlyPion said:
It's a uniform gravitational field. That means that motion will have symmetry. That at every point on the way up, the object will have the same velocity magnitude, albeit reversed in direction, on the way down.

Since you know at apogee that it has velocity of 0, then the time to drop is given by X = 1/2 a*t2.

But since that is only half the trip ... double it.

Why?

Because you can.

Good luck.

but doesn't it have a certain v1 when it's going up even though the v1 for coming down is 0?

jnimagine said:
but doesn't it have a certain v1 when it's going up even though the v1 for coming down is 0?

Sure it has a V1 to start out. And incidentally, it has the same V1 speed when it reaches the ground again just different direction.

But its like a video in reverse. The up trip and the down trip will appear the same, forwards or backwards.

So ... trip time up = trip time down.

Related to How Long Does a Flea Stay in the Air After Jumping? Find Out Now!

1. How long can a flea stay in the air after jumping?

A flea can stay in the air for up to 12-24 hours after jumping, depending on factors such as air currents and the strength of the flea's jump.

2. Can fleas fly or do they only jump?

Fleas do not have wings and cannot fly. They are capable of jumping long distances due to their powerful hind legs.

3. Do fleas only jump vertically or can they also jump horizontally?

Fleas are capable of jumping both vertically and horizontally. They can jump up to 150 times their own body length.

4. How high can a flea jump?

A flea can jump up to 7 inches vertically and up to 13 inches horizontally. This is equivalent to a human jumping over a 30 story building.

5. How do fleas jump so far?

Fleas have specially adapted hind legs that are designed for jumping. These legs contain a protein called resilin, which acts like a spring, allowing the flea to store and release energy quickly and efficiently.