How long did it take for the box to travel 4.00 meters?

In summary, the box started with a positive initial velocity and experienced a negative acceleration. After traveling 4.00 meters, its velocity was +0.50m/s. To find the time it took for the box to travel the 4.00 meters, a quadratic equation was set up using the equation \Deltax = Vot + 1/2 at^2 and the given values. The correct answer was found to be 0.9 seconds. However, the quadratic formula was not used correctly in the attempt at a solution.
hatcheezy

Homework Statement

A box slides along a surface with a positive initial velocity. It the experiences an acceleration of -0.25m/s^2. After traveling 4.00 meters, its velocity is +0.50m/s. How long did it take for the boxto travel the 4.00 meters?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]x=Vot + 1/2 a t^2 ??

The Attempt at a Solution

4.00m=(.50m/s)t+1/2(.25m/s^2)(t^2)

(.125m/s^2)(t^2)+(.50m/s)(t)-(4.00m)

-(.50) + - [tex]\sqrt{(.50)^2-4(.125)(-4)/2(.125)}[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]-.50 = .9seconds?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not from my calculations.

From you problematic, [tex]v_0[/tex] is the initial velocity of the box, which is not equal to [tex]0.5m/s[/tex]

Cheers

You got the quadratic formula wrong. Everything is over 2a, not just 4ac.

I had to double-check your initial set-up, because you had acceleration as positive, but after a bit of algebra it's correct. I'm not sure if that was by accident or intentional. You didn't show that step, if it was intentional. V-initial isn't given, so you have to solve for V-initial in terms of V-final, a, and t, which happens to be what you got.

Jack21222 said:
You got the quadratic formula wrong. Everything is over 2a, not just 4ac.

I had to double-check your initial set-up, because you had acceleration as positive, but after a bit of algebra it's correct. I'm not sure if that was by accident or intentional. You didn't show that step, if it was intentional. V-initial isn't given, so you have to solve for V-initial in terms of V-final, a, and t, which happens to be what you got.

i set it over 2a...im just wondering if i set the previous equation up properly

hatcheezy said:
i set it over 2a...im just wondering if i set the previous equation up properly

You did, but I suspect it was due to shear luck, because you didn't show how you went from Vo to Vf, and you didn't show how you went from 'a' being negative to 'a' being positive. According to my early-morning algebra, the set-up is right, however.

And no, you didn't set it all over 2a. If you had, you would have gotten the correct answer.

Related to How long did it take for the box to travel 4.00 meters?

1. What is motion in 1 dimension?

Motion in 1 dimension refers to the movement of an object along a single straight line, with no change in direction.

2. What are the key variables that describe motion in 1 dimension?

The key variables that describe motion in 1 dimension are displacement, velocity, and acceleration. Displacement is the change in an object's position, velocity is the rate of change of displacement, and acceleration is the rate of change of velocity.

3. How is average velocity calculated in 1 dimension?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement of an object by the total time it took to cover that displacement. This can be represented by the equation: average velocity = displacement / time.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity in 1 dimension?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both the speed and direction of an object's motion. Therefore, velocity takes into account the direction of an object's movement, while speed does not.

5. How does acceleration affect an object's motion in 1 dimension?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. If an object is accelerating, it means its velocity is changing, either by speeding up or slowing down. This acceleration can affect the object's overall motion in terms of speed and direction.