Finding how long it takes for a_t to equal a_c

In summary, a car is tested on a 300-m-diameter track and accelerates at 1.3 m/s^2. The time at which its centripetal acceleration is equal to its tangential acceleration is found using relevant formulas, but an incorrect answer is obtained due to a mistake in converting diameter to radius. The correct radius is 150 m and the correct time is approximately 11 seconds.
klm_spitfire

Homework Statement

A new car is tested on a 300-m-diameter track. If the car speeds up at a steady 1.3 m/s^2 , how long after starting is the magnitude of its centripetal acceleration equal to the tangential acceleration?

c = 300 m
a_t = 1.3 m/s^2

2. Relevant formulas

a_c = v^2 / r -- Centripetal Acceleration
t = (v_f - v_i) / a -- Time
r = c / 2π -- Radius

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
r = 300 / 2π = 150 / π
a_t = a_c = 1.3 = v^2 / (150 / π)
v = sqrt((150 / π) * (1.3))
t = (sqrt((150 / π) * (1.3)) - 0) / 1.3 = 6.06 seconds

This isn't correct though... It would appear the answer should be ~11 seconds. Help? Lol.

Physics news on Phys.org
klm_spitfire said:

Homework Statement

A new car is tested on a 300-m-diameter track. If the car speeds up at a steady 1.3 m/s^2 , how long after starting is the magnitude of its centripetal acceleration equal to the tangential acceleration?

c = 300 m
a_t = 1.3 m/s^2

2. Relevant formulas

a_c = v^2 / r -- Centripetal Acceleration
t = (v_f - v_i) / a -- Time
r = c / 2π -- Radius

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
r = 300 / 2π = 150 / π
The diameter of the track was given as 300 m. What is the radius then?
klm_spitfire said:
a_t = a_c = 1.3 = v^2 / (150 / π)
v = sqrt((150 / π) * (1.3))
t = (sqrt((150 / π) * (1.3)) - 0) / 1.3 = 6.06 seconds

This isn't correct though... It would appear the answer should be ~11 seconds. Help? Lol.

Likes klm_spitfire
klm_spitfire said:
A new car is tested on a 300-m-diameter track.
klm_spitfire said:
r = 300 / 2π = 150 / π
You are confusing diameter with circumference.

ehild said:
The diameter of the track was given as 300 m. What is the radius then?

G'wah! 150 m. I must've glossed over the "diameter" in "300-m-diameter track" a dozen times. Late night homework sessions don't do me good. Thanks!

Related to Finding how long it takes for a_t to equal a_c

1. What is the formula for finding the time it takes for a_t to equal a_c?

The formula for finding the time it takes for a_t to equal a_c is t = (2d/a_c)^1/2, where t is the time in seconds, d is the distance in meters, and a_c is the acceleration of the object in meters per second squared.

2. How do I measure the distance and acceleration for this calculation?

The distance can be measured using a ruler or tape measure, and the acceleration can be measured using a stopwatch and recording the time it takes for an object to move a certain distance.

3. What units are used for the final answer?

The final answer will be in seconds, as time is measured in seconds and the formula for this calculation uses seconds as the unit for time.

4. Is this calculation only applicable to objects in free fall?

No, this calculation can be used for any object that is accelerating at a constant rate. This includes objects in free fall, as well as objects moving on an inclined plane or in a circular motion.

5. Can I use this formula to calculate the time for an object to reach a certain velocity?

Yes, this formula can be rearranged to solve for the initial velocity (v_i) instead of time (t). The formula becomes v_i = a_c*t, where v_i is the initial velocity in meters per second, a_c is the acceleration, and t is the time in seconds.