How Is Work and Heat Transfer Calculated in a Polytropic Process for Helium Gas?

In summary: This is a process of polytropic expansion. The heat transferred is in direct proportion to the increase in volume.
dillonmhudson
Helium gas initially at 2 bar, 200K undergoes a polytropic process, with n=k, to a final pressure of 14 bar. Determine the work and heat transfer for the process, each in kJ per kg of helium. Assume ideal gas behavior.

Ok so I have the following:
P1=200kPa
T1=200K
R_He=2.0769kJ/kg*K
Cp=5.1926
Cv=3.1156
k=Cp/Cv=1.6666

P2=1400kPa

I know that
PV^k=const

My trouble is in finding either the mass or the volume of the helium.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
dillonmhudson said:
Helium gas initially at 2 bar, 200K undergoes a polytropic process, with n=k, to a final pressure of 14 bar. Determine the work and heat transfer for the process, each in kJ per kg of helium. Assume ideal gas behavior.

Ok so I have the following:
P1=200kPa
T1=200K
R_He=2.0769kJ/kg*K
Cp=5.1926
Cv=3.1156
k=Cp/Cv=1.6666

P2=1400kPa

I know that
PV^k=const

My trouble is in finding either the mass or the volume of the helium.

Thanks for any help.
You do not need to know the mass or volume. You only need to know the proportional change in volume. From that you can determine the change in temperature.

Use the fact that [itex]P_iV_i^k = P_fV_f^k[/itex] to find the relative change in volume. Then use the ideal gas law to determine the change in temperature. That will enable you to find the change in internal energy.

Since k = Cp/Cv, what kind of process is this? What does that tell you about the heat transferred during the process?

Apply the first law of thermodynamics to determine the work from the change in internal energy and the heat flow.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Since k = Cp/Cv, what kind of process is this? What does that tell you about the heat transferred during the process?

Are you asking me or are you getting me to think?
It is a polytropic process. I'm not sure what you are getting at.

Can you help me solve for the difference/proportional increase in the volume? Not really sure how to do that either.

Thanks.

Nevermind, I got it.

In order to solve for the work and heat transfer for this process, we need to know the specific volume (v) of the helium gas at both the initial and final pressures. This can be calculated using the ideal gas law, PV = mRT, where m is the mass of helium, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

Since we are assuming ideal gas behavior, we can use the equation P1V1 = P2V2 to solve for the specific volume at the final pressure:

V2 = (P1V1)/(P2) = (200 kPa)(1 m^3/kg)/(1400 kPa) = 0.143 m^3/kg

Now that we have the specific volume at the final pressure, we can use the polytropic process equation PV^n = const to solve for the specific volume at the initial pressure:

V1 = (P2V2^n)/(P1)^(n-1) = (1400 kPa)(0.143 m^3/kg)^1.6666/(200 kPa)^0.6666 = 0.118 m^3/kg

Next, we can use the ideal gas law again to calculate the mass of helium:

m = PV/RT = (200 kPa)(0.118 m^3/kg)/(2.0769 kJ/kg*K)(200 K) = 0.0018 kg

Now that we have the mass of helium, we can calculate the work and heat transfer for the process:

Work = PdV = P2(V2-V1) = (1400 kPa)(0.143 m^3/kg - 0.118 m^3/kg) = 3.5 kJ/kg

Heat transfer = mCp(T2-T1) = (0.0018 kg)(5.1926 kJ/kg*K)(1400 K - 200 K) = 10.5 kJ/kg

Therefore, the work for the process is 3.5 kJ/kg and the heat transfer is 10.5 kJ/kg. I hope this helps to clarify the process for solving this problem.

Related to How Is Work and Heat Transfer Calculated in a Polytropic Process for Helium Gas?

1. What is a Polytropic Process?

A Polytropic Process is a thermodynamic process in which the temperature and pressure of a gas change simultaneously in such a way that the gas follows a specific equation of state, known as the polytropic equation.

2. What is the polytropic equation?

The polytropic equation is an equation that describes the relationship between the pressure and volume of a gas during a polytropic process. It is expressed as PV^n = constant, where n is the polytropic index. This index can have different values depending on the conditions of the process.

3. What is the significance of the polytropic index?

The polytropic index is a measure of the efficiency of a polytropic process. It indicates how much energy is exchanged between the gas and its surroundings during the process. A higher index indicates a more efficient process, while a lower index means that there is more energy lost or gained during the process.

4. What are some examples of polytropic processes?

One example of a polytropic process is the compression or expansion of a gas in a piston-cylinder system. Other examples include the adiabatic expansion or compression of a gas in a turbine or compressor, respectively.

5. How is a polytropic process different from other thermodynamic processes?

A polytropic process is different from other thermodynamic processes because it involves simultaneous changes in both temperature and pressure. Other processes, such as isothermal or adiabatic processes, only involve changes in one of these variables while the other remains constant.