How Is Torque Calculated on a Rectangular Coil in a Magnetic Field?

F = ΝΒΙ with the distance from the axis of rotation r = A/2 and the sine of the angle between the force and the lever arm. In this case, the torque acting on the rectangular coil with 25 turns of wire, each 4cm in length, at a 30 degree angle to a magnetic field of 0.8T and 12A of current flowing is equal to 0.5 Nm. This is calculated by using the formula τ = (25 × 4 × 0.08) × (12 × 0.4) × sin(30) = 0.5 Nm.In summary, the torque acting on a rectangular
coffeem

Homework Statement

A rectangular coil consists of 25 turns of wire forming a square 4cm each side. By considering the force on a current-carrying straight wire, calculate the torque acting on the coil when the normal is at 30 degrees to a magnetic field of 0.8T and 12 A are flowing.

Homework Equations

t = ucrossB

F = IlcrossB

The Attempt at a Solution

Umm I am a bit stuck with this as I do now know why I am meant to be using the force acting on the current carrying wire. I thought I could just use the t = ucrossB forumla in the form:

t = ubsintheta

where u = IA

However this clearly isn't correct so I am looking for some help! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Torque τ = ΝΒΙΑsin(θ)

Related to How Is Torque Calculated on a Rectangular Coil in a Magnetic Field?

What is torque acting on a coil?

Torque acting on a coil is the rotational force that is applied to a coil, causing it to rotate around its axis.

How is torque calculated on a coil?

Torque on a coil can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the coil by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

What factors affect the torque acting on a coil?

The factors that affect torque on a coil include the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the angle between the coil and the magnetic field.

Can torque on a coil be changed?

Yes, torque on a coil can be changed by altering the strength of the magnetic field or by changing the angle between the coil and the magnetic field.

What is the significance of torque acting on a coil?

Torque acting on a coil is significant because it is what allows electric motors to convert electrical energy into rotational motion, which is used in many applications such as generators, fans, and other mechanical devices.