How Is Torque Calculated in This Physics Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a diagram showing a system with weights added to the left and right sides of an axle. The homework equation T = fxd is mentioned, and it is determined that the total torque is 980 Nm based on the weight's distance from the axle. There is some confusion about the angle of the lever arm and the exact point where the torque is applied.
Pinon1977

Homework Statement

, [/B]
Please see the attached picture. But I'm trying to do is figure out where this moment would be created and how much torque would be applied based upon this example.

Homework Equations

T = fxd

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I would suspect that any weight added to the left side of the axle would be pushing the system in a counterclockwise fashion. And, conversely, I need weight added on the right side of the axle wood have a tendency to counter that by pushing the axle in a clockwise fashion. I believe the total torque to be:
980 Nm

Attachments

• 20180407_001303.jpg
    20180407_001303.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 357
Physics news on Phys.org
Pinon1977 said:
I believe the total torque to be:
980 Nm
If your diagram is accurate, yes, but it looks odd that in spite of the lever arm being rotated to some unspecified angle to the horizontal the weight is exactly 1m horizontally from the axle. Maybe you shoukd post the original question exactly as given to you.

Your question about where exactly the torque is applied suggests some misunderstanding. The torque applies at whichever point you chose to calculate it about; in this case, the centre of the axle.

Related to How Is Torque Calculated in This Physics Problem?

1. What is a moment created?

A moment created is a force applied to an object that causes it to rotate around a fixed point or axis. It is also known as a torque.

2. How is moment created measured?

Moment created is measured in units of newton-meters (N*m) or foot-pounds (ft-lb). It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What factors affect the moment created?

The moment created is affected by the magnitude of the applied force, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the angle at which the force is applied.

4. What is the difference between moment created and torque?

Moment created and torque are essentially the same thing. However, torque is often used in the context of rotating objects, while moment created can refer to any type of rotational force.

5. How is moment created used in real-life applications?

Moment created is used in many real-life applications, such as in machines and tools that require rotational force, like wrenches and gears. It is also important in engineering and physics for understanding the stability and movement of structures and objects.