How is the Wave Function Derived in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the wave function, specifically the wave function for a free particle given by Ψ(x,t)=Aei(kx−ωt) or Ψ(x,t)=cos(kx−ωt)−isin(kx−ωt). The speaker asks for an explanation on how the wave function is derived, particularly in relation to the Schrödinger equation. It is mentioned that the wave function is often introduced as a fundamental assumption in many introductory textbooks, but there is debate on whether it should be the starting point for non-relativistic quantum mechanics. The conversation also mentions a suggested derivation from a textbook by Sears and Zemansky.
Nipuna Weerasekara
Everybody knows what is the Wave Function is.
$$\Psi=\space e^{i(kx-\omega t)}$$
or
$$\Psi=\space cos{(kx-\omega t)} \space - \space isin{(kx-\omega t)}$$

But can anyone tell me how it is derived. Since Schrodinger Equation is derived so easily using this Wave Function. I think it is necessary to understand how the Wave Function is derived.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nipuna Weerasekara said:
Everybody knows what is the Wave Function is.
$$\Psi=\space e^{i(kx-\omega t)}$$
or
$$\Psi=\space cos{(kx-\omega t)} \space - \space isin{(kx-\omega t)}$$
The wave function of what? You have just given the wave function for a free particle. In many other cases the wave function will be completely different and behave different wrt time.

This is the wave function I found when proving the Schrodinger equation. I think this is the wave function of the electron in Hydrogen atom.

Nipuna Weerasekara said:
I think this is the wave function of the electron in Hydrogen atom.

No, it's definitely not a wave function of electron in hydrogen. You need to read more carefully your sources.

Alright, let us think this is a Wave function of a particle for the time being, can you tell me how it is derived.

Nipuna Weerasekara said:
Alright, let us think this is a Wave function of a particle for the time being, can you tell me how it is derived.
Classically, it is the solution to the EOM of the simple harmonic oscillator.

Nipuna Weerasekara said:
Since Schrodinger Equation is derived so easily using this Wave Function.
It's the other way around. One derives the wave function for a particular system (e.g. a free particle) by solving Schrödinger's equation for that system.

Many introductory textbooks "justify" the Schrödinger equation or "motivate" it or "make it plausible" by assuming that a free particle with a definite momentum must be represented by a simple harmonic wave ##\Psi(x,t) = Ae^{i(kx - \omega t)}##, but fundamentally, the Schrödinger equation comes first. Many or most elementary treaments of QM simply present the SE as a fundamental assumption of the theory.

(I predict that we will now have a long debate about what is the "real" logical starting point for non-relativistic quantum mechanics. :-p)

Last edited:
Likes Truecrimson
jtbell said:
Many introductory textbooks "justify" the Schrödinger equation or "motivate" it or "make it plausible" by assuming that a free particle with a definite momentum must be represented by a simple harmonic wave Ψ(x,t)=Aei(kx−ωt)
jtbell said:
(I predict that we will now have a long debate about what is the "real" logical starting point for non-relativistic quantum mechanics. :-p)

I think the best derivation is founded on Universty Physics With Modern Physics by Sears and Zemansky. I did not find any derivation even in more advanced textbooks on QM, because they usually apresents the wave function only as an postulate.

Related to How is the Wave Function Derived in Quantum Mechanics?

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of a quantum system that describes the probability of finding a particle in a specific location at a specific time. It is used to study the behavior of particles at a microscopic level.

2. How is the wave function derived?

The wave function is derived using the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. It takes into account the properties of the particles and the forces acting on them to calculate the wave function.

3. What information can be obtained from the wave function?

The wave function provides information about the energy levels, momentum, and position of a particle. It also allows for predictions of the behavior of a quantum system.

4. Is the wave function a physical entity?

No, the wave function is a mathematical concept and not a physical entity. It is used to describe the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics, but it does not have a physical presence.

5. Can the wave function be derived for all types of particles?

Yes, the wave function can be derived for all types of particles, including electrons, protons, and atoms. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is applicable to all quantum systems.