How is the steady periodic oscillation used to solve problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses using steady periodic oscillation to solve a homework problem, and the steps involved in understanding and applying the concept. The conversation also touches on the difference between transient motion and steady periodic oscillation, and how to identify them in a solution.
iRaid
I have a homework problem that I need to use the steady periodic oscillation to solve, so instead of having help on the problem I'd rather just understand how they did it then apply it to my homework (I think that's alright?)

I'm kind of wondering where my book gets this from: $$x_{sp}(t)=5cos4t+4sin4t=\sqrt{41}\left( \frac{5}{\sqrt{41}}cos4t+\frac{4}{\sqrt{41}}sin4t \right)=\sqrt{41}cos(4t-\alpha)$$
Honestly, I have no idea where they even get the square root of 41 either..

I feel like it's some trig substitution, identity, etc. that I'm forgetting, but I can't figure it outAny help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
iRaid said:
I have a homework problem that I need to use the steady periodic oscillation to solve, so instead of having help on the problem I'd rather just understand how they did it then apply it to my homework (I think that's alright?)

I'm kind of wondering where my book gets this from: $$x_{sp}(t)=5cos4t+4sin4t=\sqrt{41}\left( \frac{5}{\sqrt{41}}cos4t+\frac{4}{\sqrt{41}}sin4t \right)=\sqrt{41}cos(4t-\alpha)$$

I feel like it's some trig substitution, identity, etc. that I'm forgetting, but I can't figure it outAny help is appreciated.

It's a standard technique. You divide and multiply by ##\sqrt{5^2+4^2}##. That makes the sum of the squares of the new coefficients = 1. So you can think of ##\frac{5}{\sqrt{41}}## as ##\cos(\alpha)## and ##\frac{4}{\sqrt{41}}## as ##\sin(\alpha)## and you have an addition formula. You can draw a little right triangle with legs 4 and 5 to see ##\alpha##.

LCKurtz said:
It's a standard technique. You divide and multiply by ##\sqrt{5^2+4^2}##. That makes the sum of the squares of the new coefficients = 1. So you can think of ##\frac{5}{\sqrt{41}}## as ##\cos(\alpha)## and ##\frac{4}{\sqrt{41}}## as ##\sin(\alpha)## and you have an addition formula. You can draw a little right triangle with legs 4 and 5 to see ##\alpha##.

OK that makes sense, but then where do they get the ##\sqrt{41}cos(4t-\alpha)##?

Put ##\cos(\alpha)## and ##\sin(\alpha)## in for those two fractions and use the addition formula.

Likes 1 person
Ah I see now.. ##cos(\alpha)cos(4t)+sin(\alpha)sin(4t)=cos(\alpha-4t)## from the trig addition formulas.

One more question, I'm not sure if you'll know it, but might as well ask... For a forced oscillation, the motion is stated as ##x(t)=x_{tr}(t)+x_{sp}(t)##. In the differential equation how do you know what is the ##x_{sp}(t)## or ##x_{tr}(t)##?
The book states that the transient motion and the steady periodic oscillation of the mass are given by ##x_{sp}(t)##, but I don't even understand what they are trying to say.

Thanks!

If your solution looks something like x(t) = cos(at) + e-3tsin(at), the steady-state part is the first term; the transient part is the decaying exponential term, so called because it drops off to zero after a short time.

Likes 1 person
Mark44 said:
If your solution looks something like x(t) = cos(at) + e-3tsin(at), the steady-state part is the first term; the transient part is the decaying exponential term, so called because it drops off to zero after a short time.

Ahh I see now. Thank you!

Related to How is the steady periodic oscillation used to solve problems?

1. What is steady periodic oscillation?

Steady periodic oscillation refers to a type of motion where a system repeats the same pattern of movement at regular intervals over time. This can occur in a variety of physical systems, such as pendulums, springs, and electrical circuits.

2. How is steady periodic oscillation different from other types of oscillation?

Unlike other types of oscillation, such as damped or forced oscillation, steady periodic oscillation occurs without any external forces or energy input. The system is able to sustain its motion due to its own internal energy.

3. What factors affect the frequency of steady periodic oscillation?

The frequency of steady periodic oscillation is determined by the properties of the system, such as its mass, stiffness, and damping. These factors can be adjusted to change the frequency of the oscillation.

4. What is the significance of steady periodic oscillation in science?

Steady periodic oscillation is a fundamental concept in many branches of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology. It helps us understand and model the behavior of complex systems, and has practical applications in fields such as engineering and medicine.

5. Can steady periodic oscillation be observed in nature?

Yes, steady periodic oscillation can be observed in many natural phenomena, such as the movement of celestial bodies, ocean tides, and animal behavior. It is also commonly used in musical instruments to produce specific frequencies and tones.