How Is the Position Function H(t) for a Yo-Yo Derived in Calculus?

In summary, the given equation H(t) = t^3-6t^2+5t+30 represents a yo-yo that is thrown upwards with initial velocity and initial height, and the terms in the equation represent different physical quantities such as gravitational acceleration and rotational dynamics. The equation is commonly found in calculus textbooks for practice purposes.
farnworth
H(t) = t^3-6t^2+5t+30 this is a yo yo 30 inches above ground at t =0, at 4 secs it is 18 inches above ground. Please tell me how these figures are derived; t^3,6t^2, 5t; I realize the 30 is initial position. I am 81 but very curious. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get this equation? We can't tell you where it comes from until you tell us where you found it.

Hard to answer this without knowing any context of where did you find this equation. But I can try
It is well known fact that a body that is thrown with initial velocity ##v_0## upwards and from initial height ##y_0## will have an equation of motion, where y is the height from the ground at time t as follows:
$$y=y_0+v_0t-\frac{1}{2}gt^2$$
where g is the gravitational acceleration ##g=10m/s^2##
So I believe this explains (almost) the ##-6t^2## and ##5t## terms (for ##v_0=5## and ##-\frac{1}{2}g=-5## and ##y_0=30##). For the ##t^3 ## term I believe the explanation lies within the rotational dynamics of a yo-yo. As the yo-yo goes upward, some of its rotational kinetic energy is converted to gravitational potential energy and this might explain the presence of the ##t^3## term. But I haven't studied myself a lot the rotational dynamics of the yoyo so I can't tell you exactly how we get this term.

Thank you Delta2 I think I am almost there, I found this problem in 'Calculus for Dummies' page181. I really should have used a metric based problem. I really appreciate your kind reply. Regards.

Likes Delta2
farnworth said:
I found this problem in 'Calculus for Dummies' page181.

Then it doesn't necessarily represent an actual physical system. It's just there to practice the mechanics of calculus.

Related to How Is the Position Function H(t) for a Yo-Yo Derived in Calculus?

1. What is a position function?

A position function is a mathematical representation of the position of an object in relation to time. It is typically denoted by the variable "s" and can be used to track the movement of an object over a specific time interval.

2. How is the position function of a yo-yo determined?

The position function of a yo-yo is determined by taking into account the length of the string, the initial height of the yo-yo, and the acceleration due to gravity. These variables can be used to calculate the position of the yo-yo at any given time.

3. What is the significance of the position function in yo-yo physics?

The position function is significant in yo-yo physics because it allows us to understand and predict the movement of the yo-yo. By using the position function, we can determine the height, velocity, and acceleration of the yo-yo at any given time.

4. How does the position function change as the yo-yo moves?

The position function changes as the yo-yo moves because the variables used to calculate it, such as the length of the string and the acceleration due to gravity, are constantly changing. As the yo-yo moves, the position function will change to reflect its new position in space.

5. Can the position function of a yo-yo be used to calculate other variables?

Yes, the position function of a yo-yo can be used to calculate other variables such as velocity and acceleration. By taking the derivative of the position function, we can determine the velocity of the yo-yo at any given time. And by taking the second derivative, we can determine the acceleration of the yo-yo.