How is the inequality |a+b| \leq |a| + |b| proven using different methods?

In summary, the book proves that |a+b| ≤ |a|+|b| using a different method than the one the author uses in the original proof. The proof also covers the case when a and b have opposite signs.
phospho
prove [itex] |a+b| \leq |a| + |b| [/itex]

i've proved it considering all the 4 cases for a and b but the book went about it a different way:

[itex] (|a+b|)^2 = (a+b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2 [/itex]
[itex] \leq a^2 + 2|a||b| + b^2 [/itex]
[itex] = |a|^2 + 2|a||b| + |b|^2 [/itex]
[itex] = (|a|+|b|)^2 [/itex]

it then goes on the conclude that [itex] |a+b| \leq |a| + |b| [/itex] because [itex] x^2 \leq y^2 [/itex] implies [itex] x < y [/itex]

I don't get there the [itex] \leq [/itex] comes from... nor the conclusion

Physics news on Phys.org
phospho said:
it then goes on the conclude that [itex] |a+b| \leq |a| + |b| [/itex] because [itex] x^2 \leq y^2 [/itex] implies [itex] x < y [/itex]

Should be ##x^2 \leq y^2 \implies x \leq y##.

And it only holds for non-negative ##x## and ##y##. Not a problem here, because in the original proof, you're dealing with absolute quantities which are, by definition, non-negative.

Prove it by bringing the ##y^2## to the LHS, then factorise. What can you conclude?

Curious3141 said:
Should be ##x^2 \leq y^2 \implies x \leq y##.

And it only holds for non-negative ##x## and ##y##. Not a problem here, because in the original proof, you're dealing with absolute quantities which are, by definition, non-negative.

Prove it by bringing the ##y^2## to the LHS, then factorise. What can you conclude?

## x^2 - y^2 \leq 0 ##
## (x+y)(x-y) \leq 0 ##
## -y \leq x \leq y ##

I don't understand what that shows, also I don't this step in their proof:

where did the ## \leq ## sign come from? Also, their proof is for [itex] |a+b| = |a| + |b| [/itex], how does their conclusion make it ## |a+b| \leq |a| + |b| ## ?

thanks

phospho said:
## x^2 - y^2 \leq 0 ##
## (x+y)(x-y) \leq 0 ##

From this step, observe that ##(x+y)## is non-negative (because ##x## and ##y## are both non-negative). Hence you can cancel ##(x+y)## from the LHS and you're left with ##x \leq y## as required.
I don't understand what that shows

That allows you to go from ##(|a + b|)^2 \leq (|a| + |b|)^2## to ##|a + b| \leq |a| + |b|##, which is the very thing they are trying to prove.

, also I don't this step in their proof:

Basically, that amounts to saying ##ab \leq |a||b|##. The equality holds as long as both a and b have the same sign (either both positive or both negative) or when at least one of them is zero. But if a and b have opposite sign (i.e. one of them is positive, the other is negative), then ##ab < |a||b|## because the LHS will become negative while the RHS is always positive.

So ##ab \leq |a||b|## covers all the possibilities. Multiply that by 2 to get ##2ab \leq 2|a||b|##. Add ##a^2 + b^2## to it to get exactly what they wrote down.

Also, their proof is for [itex] |a+b| = |a| + |b| [/itex]

No it isn't and that statement is not even true in general. Why do you think that?

how does their conclusion make it ## |a+b| \leq |a| + |b| ## ?

Work through the algebra again. I think you're getting confused because the signs alternate between equal and less-than-equal, then back to equal in a long "chain". I think you should write all the steps down systematically in terms of a single LHS and RHS with only a single sign between them at each step, and see if you can understand it better.

Likes 1 person
The first [itex] \le [/itex] occurs because, for any numbers [itex] w [/itex], [itex] w \le |w| [/itex]

Next, you have reached the point where you have
[tex]
|a+b|^2 \le \left( |a| + |b| \right)^2
[/tex]

Everything involved is non-negative because of the absolute values: what happens when you apply square roots?

thank you both... I wrote it down step by step and got it.

Related to How is the inequality |a+b| \leq |a| + |b| proven using different methods?

1. What is "Simply inequality proof"?

"Simply inequality proof" is a mathematical concept used to show that one quantity is greater than or less than another quantity. It involves using logical and algebraic techniques to manipulate mathematical expressions and prove that they follow a particular inequality relationship.

2. Why is "Simply inequality proof" important in science?

"Simply inequality proof" is important in science because it allows researchers to make meaningful comparisons between different quantities. This is particularly useful in fields such as physics and economics, where understanding relationships between variables is crucial for making predictions and drawing conclusions.

3. How do you perform a "Simply inequality proof"?

To perform a "Simply inequality proof", you first identify the inequality relationship you want to prove (e.g. x < y or x > y). Then, you use basic algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to manipulate the expressions involved until you reach a form that clearly shows the desired inequality.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when doing a "Simply inequality proof"?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid when doing a "Simply inequality proof". One is to mistakenly use the transitive property, which states that if a < b and b < c, then a < c. This property does not work for inequalities, so it cannot be used in a proof. Another mistake is to assume that multiplying both sides of an inequality by a negative number will reverse the inequality relationship, which is not always the case.

5. Can "Simply inequality proof" be used for all types of inequalities?

Yes, "Simply inequality proof" can be used for all types of inequalities, including strict inequalities (e.g. x > y), non-strict inequalities (e.g. x >= y or x <= y), and compound inequalities (e.g. x < y < z). However, the specific techniques and strategies used may vary slightly depending on the type of inequality being proved.