Deriving Triangle Inequality: Formal Definition of Absolute Value Method

• Thread starter Taylor_1989
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the Homework Statement says that if someone would like to go over someone's method for a derivation/proof, they should. The author has provided a summary of the content, and has asked for someone to check his method. The Attempt at a Solution says that if someone would like to prove that a and b are equal, they should use the triangle inequality. The first step is to use the inequality that defines x to be greater than or equal to 0, and to subtract the inequality that defines x to be less than or equal to 0. Next, they should use the inequality that defines a to be greater than or equal to b, and to subtract the inequality that defines a to be less than or equal to b. Lastly
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I would just like someone to go over my method for this derivation/proof ( not sure of the right word to use here). Anyway I think this is right method, but just feel like I am missing something. Could someone please check my method. Thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

$$|x|= x\geq 0 , -x < 0 $$

$$|a-b|\leq|a|-|b|$$

The Attempt at a Solution

By using the formal definition of the absolute value I get this:
[/B]
1.$$-|a|\leq a\leq |a|$$
2.$$-|b|\leq b\leq |b|$$

1-2: $$-(|a|-|b|)\leq a-b \leq |a|-|b| $$

Therefore I get: $$|a-b|\leq|a|-|b|$$

Is this correct? Is there any improvements that anyone could share. I do have a couple more variations of the triangle inequality to go through but want to try the first before posting.

Physics news on Phys.org
Taylor_1989 said:

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I would just like someone to go over my method for this derivation/proof ( not sure of the right word to use here). Anyway I think this is right method, but just feel like I am missing something. Could someone please check my method. Thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

$$|x|= x\geq 0 , -x < 0 $$

$$|a-b|\leq|a|-|b|$$

This is incorrect. Look at the case ##a=1, b=2##, or better still, the case ##a=1, b=-2##.

The first line under "relevant equations" looks odd and the second one is wrong.

You cannot subtract inequalities like that. As an example, 4<5 and 3<7, but 4-3 < 5-7 is wrong.

Likes Buffu
I wish the section for the problem statement were filled out explicitly.

Likes SammyS
@mfb and @Ray Vickson have already pointed out your mistakes. I just want to add a bit to mfb's reply.

Inequalities with same "symbol" can be added and inequalities with "different symbol" can be subtracted from one another and not the other way around.
Like ## 13 < 42## and ## -42 < -1 ## can be added to produce ##-29 < 41## and ## 42 > 13 ## and ## -42 < -1 ## can be subtracted to produce ##84 > 14##.
When subtracting the symbol of inequality from which the other is subtracted will be the symbol of the resultant inequality.

You can make an addition out of the subtraction:

##-42 < -1## is equivalent to (edit: fixed) ##42 > 1## (reverse the sign on both sides, reverse the direction of the inequality), and that can be added to ##42>13## to ##84>14##.

And if you don't like the first step, split it in substeps:
##a<b##
subtract a on both sides
##0 < b-a##
subtract b on both sides
##-b < -a##
Now write it in the other direction:
## -a > -b##.

Last edited:
First thanks for the response and I see the error I made. I have also notice that I put the inequity the wrong way round sorry. So I have had another attempt at the solution which is below:

Prove: $$|a|-|b|\leq|a-b|$$

Attempt:$$a=a-b+b$$
$$|a|=|a-b+b|$$

Using triangle inequity

$$|a|\leq|a-b|+|b|$$
$$|a|-|b|\leq|a-b|$$

Taylor_1989 said:
First thanks for the response and I see the error I made. I have also notice that I put the inequity the wrong way round sorry. So I have had another attempt at the solution which is below:

Prove: $$|a|-|b|\leq|a-b|$$

Attempt:$$a=a-b+b$$
$$|a|=|a-b+b|$$

Using triangle inequity

$$|a|\leq|a-b|+|b|$$
$$|a|-|b|\leq|a-b|$$
Looks good.

Related to Deriving Triangle Inequality: Formal Definition of Absolute Value Method

1. What is the formal definition of the absolute value method?

The formal definition of the absolute value method is a mathematical process used to find the distance between two points on a number line. It is represented by the symbol |x|, where x is a real number. The absolute value of a number is always positive, and it represents the distance from that number to 0 on the number line.

2. How is the absolute value method used to derive the triangle inequality?

The absolute value method is used to derive the triangle inequality by representing the sides of a triangle as points on a number line. The absolute value of the difference between two points on the number line is equal to the distance between those points. This allows us to compare the lengths of the sides of a triangle and prove that the sum of any two sides is always greater than the length of the third side.

3. Why is the triangle inequality important in mathematics?

The triangle inequality is important in mathematics because it is a fundamental property of triangles and is used in many geometric and algebraic proofs. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics and engineering, where it is used to determine the maximum and minimum values of measurements and to solve optimization problems.

4. Can the triangle inequality be extended to other shapes besides triangles?

Yes, the triangle inequality can be extended to other shapes besides triangles. It can be applied to any polygon with straight sides, as well as circles and other curved shapes. In general, the triangle inequality states that the sum of the lengths of any two sides of a shape must be greater than the length of the remaining side.

5. How can the triangle inequality be used in real-world situations?

The triangle inequality can be used in real-world situations to determine the feasibility of a triangle or polygon. For example, in construction, engineers use the triangle inequality to ensure that the length of each side of a structure is within acceptable limits. It can also be used in navigation to determine the shortest distance between two points on a map or to calculate the maximum and minimum possible distances between two locations.