How Is the Correct Weight Calculated in a Russell Traction Apparatus?

• Thread starter Du57mi73
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Traction
In summary: That force is horizontal and is what it takes to maintain the injured leg in a horizontal position. The tension in the cable is not horizontal. Using a hanging mass to provide the horizontal force is what makes it a traction force.In summary, the conversation discusses a Russell traction apparatus and its ability to support an injured leg horizontally and provide a horizontal traction force. The weight of the leg, its center of mass, and the position of the support strap are given. The problem asks for the weight needed to support the leg horizontally, which is found to be half of the leg's weight. However, the method used does not involve torque, which is confusing.
Du57mi73

Homework Statement

The device shown in the figure below (Figure 1) is one version of a Russell traction apparatus. It has two functions: to support the injured leg horizontally and at the same time provide a horizontal traction force on it. This can be done by adjusting the weight W and the angle θ. For this patient, his leg (including his foot) is 81.0 cm long (measured from the hip joint) and has a mass of 16.6 kg . Its center of mass is 41.0 cm from the hip joint. A support strap is attached to the patient's ankle 13.0 cm from the bottom of his foot.

What weight W(in N) is needed to support the leg horizontally?

Massleg=16.6kg
Radiusleg=81.0cm or .810m
Radiuscm=41.0cm or .410m
Radiuspulley=13.0cm from foot or 68.0cm from pivot=.680m

Homework Equations

Στ(torque) = 0
τ= T⋅R
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Force of the center mass is equal to the mass times the acceleration(downward).
Fcm = m * a = 16.6kg ⋅ -9.8m/s2
Fcm = -162.68N
Fcm * Rcm = -162.68N * .410m = -66.988 N*m = τ

Now, I sum the torques and solve for Fpulley
Fpulley * Rpulley - Fcm * Rcm = 0
Fpulley*.68m = -66.988N*m
Fpulley = -98.08647N = -98.1N

I have tried inputing -98.1 and 98.1, both were wrong. Any suggestions? I've looked elsewhere online and this is pretty much the template they provide so maybe I'm getting my numbers wrong somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello DU, :welcome:

For what it's worth: I get the 98.1 N, just like you did (mass is always positive).

You could try 98.2 (for the case they use g = 9.81 m/s2, but that's nitpicking).

No sir, 98.2 did not work.

Is it possible that the pivot point is actually at the foot, the idea being to keep the weight of the leg off of the hip joint?

I asked the prof. He checked what the equation they used to solve it. The answer ended up being .5 *(mass of leg)*9.8m/s2. He didnt really understand why. Can anyone else explain? Another part of this problem asked what the maximum weight that could be put on the hanging mass with the answer being 2*(mass of leg)*9.8. Am i misunderstanding the question? I don't feel like theyre using torque at all but this is in the torque section of the book and gives radii.

The data given make this patient's leg very short for its mass, and quite short for a Western adult male generally.
Maybe the 81cm is supposed to be only from hip to support. That would give a more reasonable total leg length.
Du57mi73 said:
the maximum weight that could be put on the hanging mass
That implies something can be varied to compensate. Changing theta only changes the horizontal tension. Maybe it means varying the position of the support.

My guess is that when you talk up supporting it horizontally then it is meaning that it is being held pivot at the hip and pulled outward(at theta) by the two T forces at the foot. For some reason it is asking what the value of one of those T's are because the total mass that needs pulled is the weight of the leg, and then T is half of the weight of the leg. I get that, sure. BUT why doesn't the problem use the radii or torque? Haha.

Du57mi73 said:
when you talk up supporting it horizontally then it is meaning that it is being held pivot at the hip and pulled outward(at theta) by the two T forces at the foot.
No, support the injured leg horizontally means supporting it in a horizontal position. That comes from the vertical force.
It continues:
Du57mi73 said:
and at the same time provide a horizontal traction force on it.
That is the net force from the two angled portions of the cable.

Related to How Is the Correct Weight Calculated in a Russell Traction Apparatus?

What is a Russell Traction Apparatus?

A Russell Traction Apparatus is a medical device used for immobilizing and stabilizing fractured bones in the lower leg. It is a type of traction device that applies a pulling force to the leg to align the fractured bones and promote healing.

How does a Russell Traction Apparatus work?

The apparatus consists of a pulley system and weights that are attached to the patient's leg. The weights provide a constant pulling force that helps to realign the fractured bones and keep them in place. This allows for proper healing of the fracture.

Who can use a Russell Traction Apparatus?

Typically, a Russell Traction Apparatus is used for patients with fractures in the lower leg, specifically the tibia or fibula. It may also be used for patients with knee injuries or dislocated joints. The use of the apparatus is determined by a doctor based on the severity and location of the injury.

Are there any risks or complications associated with using a Russell Traction Apparatus?

Like any medical treatment, there are potential risks and complications associated with using a Russell Traction Apparatus. These may include skin irritation or breakdown, nerve damage, or blood clots. It is important for the patient to be monitored closely and follow all instructions from the doctor.

How long is a Russell Traction Apparatus typically used?

The duration of using a Russell Traction Apparatus varies depending on the severity of the injury. In most cases, it is used for several weeks until the fracture has healed enough to remove the device. The patient may also be required to continue wearing a cast or brace after the apparatus is removed.