How Is Penelope's Monthly Lease Payment Calculated?

But the overall formula and approach seem correct, so I would double check your work and try again. In summary, to calculate the monthly lease payment Penelope must make, you need to subtract the down payment and the present value of the buyout payment from the total cost of the car. Then, using the present value formula, you can solve for the monthly payment amount. The correct answer is $464.85.
Larrytsai
Penelope wants to buy a car that is worth $43,195 by making a $4300 down payment and arranging a four-year lease
that calls for monthly payments in advance, interest of 2.91 percent compounded monthly, and a buyout payment of
$20,000 at the end of the lease. Calculate the amount of the monthly lease payment Penelope must make.

So what I thought of doing is

I subtract

43195 - 4300 - PRESENTVALUE OF (20000) = A[1-(((1+(0.0291/12))^-48))/]

PRESENTVALUE OF (20000) = 20000/((1+(0.0291/12))^48) = 17804.89

I get A = 465,

Im not sure if this is right, the solution saids 464.85, I carried all my decimals in my calculations as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Larrytsai said:
Penelope wants to buy a car that is worth $43,195 by making a $4300 down payment and arranging a four-year lease
that calls for monthly payments in advance, interest of 2.91 percent compounded monthly, and a buyout payment of
$20,000 at the end of the lease. Calculate the amount of the monthly lease payment Penelope must make.

So what I thought of doing is

I subtract

43195 - 4300 - PRESENTVALUE OF (20000) = A[1-(((1+(0.0291/12))^-48))/]
Your equation seems to be missing some factors.

PRESENTVALUE OF (20000) = 20000/((1+(0.0291/12))^48) = 17804.89

I get A = 465.

I'm not sure if this is right. The solution said 464.85. I carried all my decimals in my calculations as well.
My calculations come up with 464.85. Without seeing the details of your calculation, it's impossible to say what went wrong.

Related to How Is Penelope's Monthly Lease Payment Calculated?

1. What is a Uniform Series Problem?

A Uniform Series Problem is a mathematical concept used to calculate the present or future value of a series of equal payments made at regular intervals over a specific period of time.

2. How is the present value of a Uniform Series Problem calculated?

The present value of a Uniform Series Problem is calculated using the formula PV = R[(1-(1+i)^-n)/i], where PV is the present value, R is the equal periodic payment, i is the interest rate per period, and n is the number of periods.

3. What is the difference between an annuity and a Uniform Series Problem?

An annuity is a series of equal payments made at regular intervals indefinitely, whereas a Uniform Series Problem has a specific end date for the payments.

4. How can a Uniform Series Problem be used in financial planning?

A Uniform Series Problem can be used to calculate the amount needed for retirement savings, mortgage payments, or loan payments. It can also be used to compare different investment options.

5. What are some real-life applications of Uniform Series Problems?

Uniform Series Problems are commonly used in financial planning, budgeting, and investment analysis. They are also used in engineering to calculate the cost of projects with regular cash flows, such as construction projects.