How important is an internship for a non-traditional student

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges faced by a 30-year-old Electrical Engineering student in obtaining a summer internship due to financial constraints and location limitations. The individual has prior work experience in non-technical fields and is questioning the importance of internships for job prospects in the engineering field. The response emphasizes the significance of internships and research experience for engineering students and suggests showcasing outside-the-classroom projects as a way to stand out to potential employers. The individual is seeking advice on how to mitigate the potential weakness of not having an internship.
Vagabond7
A bit more info. I am 30, went back to college at 27 for an Electrical Engineering Degree. I have one year left after this semester. I have a wife and a mortgage and a job (non technical, I work in the service industry) Getting an internship is a challenging endeavor for me. I have bills to pay, so I need steady paid work. I'll still need to come back to my normal job after a summer internship, so I would need to work both jobs at the same time so as not to lose my steady job. I also can't just up and leave my general area to go get an internship somewhere else in the country. I live in the southern US (Kentucky), so there aren't just tons of engineering internships within an hour drive. The number of engineering students significantly outnumber the local engineering internships.

I hear professors and the like talk about how important getting a summer internship is, but they are talking to an audience of mostly 19 and 20 year old kids who have never had a job, or have only had part time jobs for the university. I've been in the workforce for over a decade, though not in technical fields. I've worked in Loss Prevention for a number of years for one company, and worked as a manager for years at an industrial cleaning company. I don't see how three months of interning somewhere could make that big of a difference to my over all work experience, but time and time again the universities industry partners emphasize how important it is to get an internship somewhere.

I have a good 3.7 GPA, and am technically proficient in programming and various other programs and tools one learns as an engineering student. So am I screwed if I don't work two jobs over the summer or does the fact that I have work experience count for anything once I start actually looking for a job? Anybody who actually works as an engineer or has worked in hiring engineers have any insight?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vagabond7 said:
A bit more info. I am 30, went back to college at 27 for an Electrical Engineering Degree. I have one year left after this semester. I have a wife and a mortgage and a job (non technical, I work in the service industry) Getting an internship is a challenging endeavor for me. I have bills to pay, so I need steady paid work. I'll still need to come back to my normal job after a summer internship, so I would need to work both jobs at the same time so as not to lose my steady job. I also can't just up and leave my general area to go get an internship somewhere else in the country. I live in the southern US (Kentucky), so there aren't just tons of engineering internships within an hour drive. The number of engineering students significantly outnumber the local engineering internships.

I hear professors and the like talk about how important getting a summer internship is, but they are talking to an audience of mostly 19 and 20 year old kids who have never had a job, or have only had part time jobs for the university. I've been in the workforce for over a decade, though not in technical fields. I've worked in Loss Prevention for a number of years for one company, and worked as a manager for years at an industrial cleaning company. I don't see how three months of interning somewhere could make that big of a difference to my over all work experience, but time and time again the universities industry partners emphasize how important it is to get an internship somewhere.

I have a good 3.7 GPA, and am technically proficient in programming and various other programs and tools one learns as an engineering student. So am I screwed if I don't work two jobs over the summer or does the fact that I have work experience count for anything once I start actually looking for a job? Anybody who actually works as an engineer or has worked in hiring engineers have any insight?

Internships, followed by research experience where you could potentially publish or showcase a project at a journal or conference are very import for engineering students. Your non-technical work experience may be looked upon as a measure of experience (especially your management work), but when it comes to engineering you won't have a way to stand out from all the other students with similar stats. The degree is generally a necessary but not sufficient precursor to getting a job, your GPA is good but if all you've done is coursework you will be at a serious disadvantage if you haven't done some sort of engineering outside the classroom and those 3 months of interning will be looked upon more highly than all your 10 years on non-engineering work if you're applying for an engineering position. At my school they had you do projects of various scales in electronics, controls, power, and of course senior design/capstone, and if you make a portfolio and document and showcase these well they can definitely serve as great resume boosters. However, lots of people have these along with interning at reputable companies like Boeing, Lockheed, Raytheon, Northrop Grumman and the like. Not saying you need to work for the big boys like this but it is generally preferable to have outside the classroom technical experience even if you're applying to smaller companies to stand out.

Likes Jaeusm
Let me approach this from a different angle. Upon thinking about my post, I realized what my real question is. What does one do to mitigate the weakness of not having had an internship?

It is unlikely that I will get an internship for the summer for the aforementioned reasons. I haven't ruled it out, I am still looking for places and putting out resumes and applications. But like all good engineers, I would like to plan for the worst case scenario.

I am not going to be trying to get jobs at Tesla, or Lockheed or high profile super competitive companies. I am just looking to get a good steady engineering job. In my area that means mostly either manufacturing or utilities. Is my best bet to emphasize my projects and experience I got on my projects? I still have a year to go, and that is when I will work on my big senior project, but right now I am working on generator power control using dSPACE and simulink for my junior project. Would it be appropriate and smart to list experience with programming dSPACE using simulink? Or is that the sort of thing that only students and academics care about, and industry could care less?

Can you find some kind of internship during the regular semester? There are often different research and internship programs on campus for science and engineering students. Summer internships have the advantage of allowing students to focus on them more completely, but the on campus type of internships are the ones that can often last longer. In either case, getting some kind of applied experience is very helpful. It's something that helps to round out future applications very nicely because it shows that you've done a bit more than just being a student.

I spent 6 years in construction management before I went back to do my engineering degree (also at 27). I am entering my 3rd year now. I had the opportunity to do a four-month internship after my first year (I consider this a lucky break). It was an incredible learning experience, and I highly recommend it. A few notes:

Aside from the senior engineers, many of my coworkers were junior engineers; EIT's who had only been in the field for a year or so. It is difficult being treated like you know nothing from young hot shot engineers. Some young grads are better at handling this type of situation than others. It can be a humbling experience, keep that in mind.

Some internships involve very little or no actual work. Even the other interns hired at this particular company basically surfed the internet all day. It just happened that my division was overwhelmed with work, and I was able to do some real engineering. Again, I lucked out, but there was a chance that I could have spent the summer surfing the web in a cubical.

I recommend you get an internship. But I think it is fair to be clear with your employer that you may be making a sacrifice to be there, and that your interested in getting real experience. Especially at your age, I think they would find this type of honesty completely sensible. Best of luck!

Related to How important is an internship for a non-traditional student

1. How valuable is an internship for a non-traditional student?

An internship is extremely valuable for non-traditional students as it provides hands-on experience in their chosen field. It allows them to apply the knowledge they have gained in their academic studies to real-world situations. This practical experience can make them stand out to potential employers and give them a competitive edge in the job market.

2. Will an internship benefit a non-traditional student's resume?

Absolutely. An internship is a great addition to a non-traditional student's resume as it shows that they have practical experience in their field of study. It also demonstrates their commitment to their career path and their willingness to learn and gain new skills.

3. Can an internship lead to a job for a non-traditional student?

Yes, an internship can definitely lead to a job for a non-traditional student. Many employers use internships as a way to identify talented and dedicated individuals for potential job openings. Therefore, if a non-traditional student performs well during their internship, it can open up doors for future job opportunities.

4. How can an internship benefit a non-traditional student's networking?

Internships provide non-traditional students with the opportunity to network with professionals in their industry. This can lead to valuable connections and potential mentors who can offer advice and guidance. These networking opportunities can also help with job prospects and references in the future.

5. Is an internship necessary for a non-traditional student's career success?

An internship is not a requirement for career success, but it can significantly enhance a non-traditional student's chances of success. It provides them with practical skills, real-world experience, and valuable connections that can help them excel in their chosen field. Furthermore, internships can also give non-traditional students a better understanding of their career goals and help them make more informed decisions about their future.