How high does a wall need to be to block smoke?

In summary: How about a barbeque smoker having a small box that they put their cigarette in, and the smoke would go up the chimney and out the top?In summary, a smoker just moved into the mobile home next to the one I live in, and insists on smoking in his yard. I want to build a wall between us to block the smoke. I don't know how to calculate how high the wall needs to be, to keep the smoke from blowing into my yard. Can anyone help me to figure this out?
CassieFordham
A smoker just moved into the mobile home next to the one I live in, and insists on smoking in his yard. I want to build a wall between us to block the smoke. I don't know how to calculate how high the wall needs to be, to keep the smoke from blowing into my yard. Can anyone help me to figure this out?

Physics news on Phys.org
CassieFordham said:
A smoker just moved into the mobile home next to the one I live in, and insists on smoking in his yard. I want to build a wall between us to block the smoke. I don't know how to calculate how high the wall needs to be, to keep the smoke from blowing into my yard. Can anyone help me to figure this out?
Does your mobile home park have CC&Rs? And maybe your city has laws for how close smokers can be to occupied dwellings. What country/state/province do you live in?

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/what-are-convenants-conditions-restrictions-ccrs-hoas.html

Last edited:
Offhand I'd guess it needs to be at least 6-8 feet, but I'm not sure how effective a fence will be since they aren't usually airtight.

And the wind direction is a bigger factor anyway. Can you just ask them politely to go downwind to smoke?

Likes hsdrop and sophiecentaur
Thank you all for your replies, but my question is a physics question. I'm trying to build a wall, not change the behavior of my neighbor.

I want to know how to know the formula to figure out the behavior of the smoke: e.g. under what conditions wound the smoke rise and what conditions would it fall, and what conditions are needed to ensure that itdoesn't to rise above the wall then fall into my yard where I would breath it.

CassieFordham said:
Thank you all for your replies, but my question is a physics question. I'm trying to build a wall, not change the behavior of my neighbor.

I want to know how to know the formula to figure out the behavior of the smoke: e.g. under what conditions wound the smoke rise and what conditions would it fall, and what conditions are needed to ensure that itdoesn't to rise above the wall then fall into my yard where I would breath it.
there's just too many variables ... height isn't going to make a lot of difference when as @berkeman said it is windy
the wind will just blow the smoke around the sides and over the top of the wall. And even if it isn't windy, and
you had a 20, 50, 100 ft high wall. It's still going to drift around the sides of the wall

So do you want to encase you home or his home in a plastic bubble ?
that is the guaranteed way to stop the smoke, every other way will fail to some extentDave

CassieFordham said:
but my question is a physics question.
It's an engineering question. It's solved with engineering tools, like CFD simulations. Or by trial and error.

Likes davenn
CassieFordham said:

I'm not sure this is possible. The behavior of air patterns is enormously complex and depends on a huge number of variables, such as absolute temperature, temperature variations, the exact location and properties of surrounding structures and vegetation, amount of sunlight, exact location of your neighbor, etc.

CassieFordham said:
I want to know how to know the formula to figure out the
There is no formula that fits all scenarios.

You could try concentration dispersion, such as how will it take for a smell ( perfume for ex ) to cross a distance, just by the movement of molecules themselves. Around a barrier adds a complication.

Wind drift, gravity fed movement, convection, smokestack, atmospheric conditions, etc all in puts and/or choices used to model movement of particles and aerosols in air for say pollutants, chemical agents, fire, etc.

Look up air dispersion modeling to see what's out there. Most programs would be for larger areas - 1000's of feet to miles and miles from the source. You might get lucky to find something for smaller areas, very low concentrations, and brief time periods. If you are more lucky, you might be able to find some expose on equations, applicability, and the importance of factors in the modelling.

wiki has a little bit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_dispersion_modeling

Chugg away/ A small scale model for barbeques and cigarette smoke would be an interesting application for urban dwellers, and other interested parties.

Related to How high does a wall need to be to block smoke?

1. How does the height of a wall affect the blocking of smoke?

The height of a wall plays a crucial role in blocking smoke. A taller wall can create a larger barrier for smoke to pass through, reducing its concentration on the other side. However, other factors such as wind direction and building ventilation also influence the effectiveness of a wall in blocking smoke.

2. What is the ideal height for a wall to block smoke?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question as it depends on various factors such as the source of smoke and the surrounding environment. Generally, a wall height of at least 8 feet can help block a significant amount of smoke, but taller walls may be necessary in certain situations.

3. Can a wall of any material effectively block smoke?

The material of a wall can affect its ability to block smoke. Generally, dense and impermeable materials such as brick, concrete, and metal are more effective in blocking smoke compared to lighter materials like wood or drywall. However, the design and construction of the wall also play a role in its effectiveness.

4. Does the thickness of a wall impact its ability to block smoke?

Thicker walls can provide a larger barrier for smoke to pass through, potentially reducing its concentration on the other side. However, the thickness of a wall alone may not be enough to effectively block smoke, as other factors like ventilation and air pressure also play a role.

5. Can a wall completely block all smoke?

No, a wall alone cannot completely block all smoke. While a taller and thicker wall made of dense material can significantly reduce the amount of smoke passing through, there may still be some leakage. Other measures such as proper ventilation and air filtration systems may also be necessary to completely block smoke.