How High Can a Nuclear Bomb Energy Lift a Mass of Water?

In summary: So you solved it?In summary, a nuclear bomb containing 6.5kg of plutonium explodes with the sum of the rest masses of the products being less than the original rest mass by one part in 10^4. To find the mass of water that the released energy could lift to a height of 3.1km, the traditional formula for gravitational potential energy was used, with the initial amount of Joules being 5.85*10^13. The resulting mass of water that could be lifted is calculated to be 1.9*10^9 kg.
MarcL

Homework Statement

A nuclear bomb containing 6.5kg of plutonium explodes. The sum of the rest masses of the products of the explosion is less than the original rest mass by one part in 10^4 .

c) What mass of water could the released energy lift to a height of 3.1 km?

Homework Equations

Well this is where I am stuck, I don't know what to use to plug in the height :/ ( I was given E=mc^2, E= mc^2 + k , etc...)

The Attempt at a Solution

There was an a and a b before hand ( the energy released from the explosion which was 5.85 * 10^13 J and the average power over 3.7 microseconds which was 1.58*10^19 Watts) but I really cannot seem to figure out what to do because I have no equations ( or none that I know of) that include the height.

Physics news on Phys.org
MarcL said:

Homework Statement

A nuclear bomb containing 6.5kg of plutonium explodes. The sum of the rest masses of the products of the explosion is less than the original rest mass by one part in 10^4 .

c) What mass of water could the released energy lift to a height of 3.1 km?

Homework Equations

Well this is where I am stuck, I don't know what to use to plug in the height :/ ( I was given E=mc^2, E= mc^2 + k , etc...)

The Attempt at a Solution

There was an a and a b before hand ( the energy released from the explosion which was 5.85 * 10^13 J and the average power over 3.7 microseconds which was 1.58*10^19 Watts) but I really cannot seem to figure out what to do because I have no equations ( or none that I know of) that include the height.
Do you know the gravitational potential energy of a object with mass, m, raised to a height h ?

In my opinion, physics should be more than searching for equations/formulas which we can plug some random data into.

I tried the traditional Pe=mgh... it didn't work.

I don't think it's about formula and plugging it in. I understand what I am doing. I think I didn't make my statement clear. First of all I hate doing something that I don't understand ( i.e: plug in) I feel like a robot. But that is beside the point... I just do not know how to approach that part of the problem..

MarcL said:
I tried the traditional Pe=mgh... it didn't work.

I'm pretty sure that it is the traditional P.E. = mgh .

Show your attempt at working with this.

I used the initial amount of Joules that I found ( so E=mc^2 which gave me 5.85*10^13J). I then plugged it in the equation knowing that no energy is loss or created ( it still applies in relativity I believe?). So (5.85*10^13) / ((9.82m/s^2)(3100m)) = 1.9*10^9 kg

MarcL said:
I used the initial amount of Joules that I found ( so E=mc^2 which gave me 5.85*10^13J). I then plugged it in the equation knowing that no energy is loss or created ( it still applies in relativity I believe?). So (5.85*10^13) / ((9.82m/s^2)(3100m)) = 1.9*10^9 kg
That all looks fine to me.

Related to How High Can a Nuclear Bomb Energy Lift a Mass of Water?

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a scientific theory proposed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by the presence of massive objects. The theory is divided into two parts: the special theory of relativity, which deals with objects moving at constant speeds, and the general theory of relativity, which includes the effects of gravity.

2. How does relativity relate to energy?

Einstein's famous equation, E=mc², is a fundamental aspect of the theory of relativity. It describes the relationship between energy and mass, stating that energy and mass are interchangeable. This means that a small amount of mass can be converted into a large amount of energy, and vice versa.

3. What is the significance of the speed of light in relativity?

The speed of light, denoted by the letter "c," plays a crucial role in the theory of relativity. According to the theory, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel in the universe. This means that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. The value of c is also used in many equations and formulas in relativity.

4. How does relativity impact our understanding of energy conservation?

Relativity has a significant impact on the concept of energy conservation. In classical physics, energy is thought to be conserved, meaning it cannot be created or destroyed. However, in relativity, energy and mass are interchangeable, and the total energy of a system can change as mass is converted into energy or vice versa. This means that energy is not strictly conserved in the traditional sense, but rather transformed into different forms.

5. Can relativity be applied to everyday life?

Yes, relativity has many practical applications in our everyday lives. For example, GPS systems rely on the principles of relativity to accurately calculate location and time. Relativity also plays a role in modern technologies such as particle accelerators and nuclear power plants. Additionally, the theory of relativity has also led to advancements in our understanding of the universe and its workings.