How has your transition from the army to civilian life been?

• Thread starter katiska
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Army Time
In summary: I'm not sure if it was the feeling of freedom or the weight of the past year but either way it was amazing.
katiska
After a year I have been released to reserve and I'm now a free man.
It's been unbelievable. The experience was a hell, but it was worth it.
From hot days of july to cold winter (+30C -> -30C).
I lost weight from 85 kg's to 68 kg's and I'm 180 cm tall.
I could cry now :cry:

Now I'm more than happy to start studying at the university.

Anyone else had this kind of moments?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hate to tell you, but they're calling up the individual ready reserves for Iraq...

wasteofo2 said:
Hate to tell you, but they're calling up the individual ready reserves for Iraq...
Iraq? You think Finland would send reserves to Iraq?
I'm not from USA.

The US controls all the peoples of the world! Send anyone in any country into battle at a mere wave of Dubya's hand! ... or something like that. :wink:

Congratulations on surviving the military, katiska! Good luck in your studies! I hope you find it a bit more pleasant.

I had a similar feeling when I got accepted into college. And then again when I graduated high school, but something not-so-pleasant happened right after graduation, so that didn't last real long...

cookiemonster

katiska said:
Iraq? You think Finland would send reserves to Iraq?
I'm not from USA.
Nope.

Being american, I automatically think everyone who speaks english is from America or England. Then, if they don't say something like "Jolly good, Smashing, colour, favourite" etc, that they're american.

katiska said:
After a year I have been released to reserve and I'm now a free man.
It's been unbelievable. The experience was a hell, but it was worth it.
From hot days of july to cold winter (+30C -> -30C).
I lost weight from 85 kg's to 68 kg's and I'm 180 cm tall.
I could cry now :cry:

Now I'm more than happy to start studying at the university.

Anyone else had this kind of moments?

That is great katiska!

Do you believe that whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger? :biggrin:

When I finished college I literally felt like I was floating the last few days. One of my friends even commented that I looked different - I was glowing! I was sooooooooo ready to be done.

Related to How has your transition from the army to civilian life been?

1. What are your plans now that your time in the army is over?

As a scientist, my plans involve continuing my research and experiments in my field of study. I may also explore opportunities in the private sector, using the skills and knowledge I gained during my time in the army.

2. How has your experience in the army influenced your scientific work?

My experience in the army has taught me discipline, attention to detail, and the ability to work under pressure. These skills have translated well into my scientific work, allowing me to efficiently conduct experiments and analyze data.

3. Do you miss being in the army?

While I have fond memories of my time in the army, I am content with my decision to move on and pursue a career in science. I am grateful for the experiences and lessons I learned while serving, but I am also excited for what the future holds.

4. How do you think your time in the army has shaped you as a person?

My time in the army has taught me the importance of teamwork, perseverance, and adaptability. These qualities have not only helped me in my scientific work, but also in my personal life. I am grateful for the opportunities and challenges that have shaped me into the person I am today.

5. What advice do you have for others who are transitioning from the army to a civilian career?

My advice would be to take advantage of any resources and support offered by the military for transitioning veterans. Additionally, don't be afraid to network and reach out to others in your desired field of work. Your military experience has equipped you with valuable skills and qualities that will make you a valuable asset in any career.