How Has Camm's Bar Survived Since the End of Prohibition?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Years
In summary, "Camm" started serving beer at his father's grocery store on the night that Prohibition ended in 1933. He has been married for 71 years and recently retired to take care of his wife. A reporter on CBS commented that his 77-year career was equivalent to 77 years of second-hand smoke. The air quality in Pittsburgh at that time must have been poor. Despite this, he is considered a modern day hero.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
..."Camm," as people call him, started serving beer at his father's North Side grocery the moment Prohibition ended at midnight on April 7, 1933. The memory is as clear to him as the strike of the library clock that signaled it was time to start opening bottles of Fort Pitt...
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09232/991889-389.stm#ixzz0RVuLh2OF

I liked the one comment made by a reporter on CBS: That's 77 years of second-hand smoke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I saw that story too...so great! And he quit to take care of his wife...to whom he has been married for 71 years!

lisab said:
I saw that story too...so great! And he quit to take care of his wife...to whom he has been married for 71 years!

I liked the way they put it too: Seventy-one years of marriage trumps a seventy-seven year career.

Ivan Seeking said:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09232/991889-389.stm#ixzz0RVuLh2OF

I liked the one comment made by a reporter on CBS: That's 77 years of second-hand smoke.

Talking about smoke, can you imagine what the air was like in Pittsburgh 77 years ago?

Last edited by a moderator:
And people say there are no modern day heroes. :!)

Related to How Has Camm's Bar Survived Since the End of Prohibition?

What is the significance of serving booze for over 76 years?

The significance of serving booze for over 76 years is that it demonstrates longevity and consistency in the business. It also shows that the establishment has been able to adapt to changing times and regulations.

How has the serving of alcohol changed over the past 76 years?

The serving of alcohol has changed significantly over the past 76 years due to changes in laws and regulations, attitudes towards alcohol consumption, and advancements in technology. For example, there are now more restrictions on when and where alcohol can be served and there are more options for responsible drinking, such as non-alcoholic options.

What role does science play in serving booze for over 76 years?

Science plays a crucial role in serving booze for over 76 years. From understanding the effects of alcohol on the body to developing new methods for producing and serving alcohol, science has helped to improve the safety and quality of the serving of booze.

What are the potential health risks associated with serving booze for over 76 years?

The potential health risks associated with serving booze for over 76 years include alcohol addiction, liver damage, and increased risk of certain diseases such as cancer. It is important for establishments to educate their customers about responsible drinking and to monitor and regulate alcohol consumption.

How does serving booze for over 76 years impact the economy?

Serving booze for over 76 years can have a significant impact on the economy. It can create jobs, generate tax revenue, and contribute to the growth of the hospitality industry. However, it is also important to consider the potential negative effects on the economy, such as alcohol-related accidents and health care costs.