Is Chalkboard Paint as Effective as a Real Chalkboard?

• Thread starter spacetimedude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paint
In summary, if the wall is made of gypsum wallboard (sheet-rock), it may not be a good substrate for a painted chalkboard. If you can source a large enough piece of masonite, prime it and paint it with the chalkboard paint, you might have a sufficiently flat, durable surface for writing.
spacetimedude
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has an experience with chalkboard paint. I just moved into a new house and I am considering painting a wall with chalkboard paint.

Is it as effective as a real chalkboard? I'm going to write intensively on it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What materials are the walls made of? Gypsum wallboard (sheet-rock) might not be a good substrate for a painted chalkboard. If you can source a large enough piece of masonite, prime it and paint it with the chalkboard paint, you might have a sufficiently flat, durable surface for writing. Best of all, if you have to move that chalkboard, you can take it down with minimal wall-repairs. Good luck, no matter how you decide.

Turbo's idea is very good.

Odd, I just watched a show on tv oh how they make chalkboards. They apply three coats of chalkpaint.

While working at a University I got to take down and move chalk boards. I was surprised to find that they were painted plate glass. So chalk board paint is not uncommon. As Turbo said you need to find a good substrate.

While at Lehigh U in eastern Pa I observed real slate chalk boards in the 100+ yr old building my office was in.

Why not whiteboard paint?

Integral said:
While at Lehigh U in eastern Pa I observed real slate chalk boards in the 100+ yr old building my office was in.
When my wife and I decided to remodel our kitchen, my niece's husband had secured a good supply of slate blackboards. Those are now the countertops and back-splashes of our kitchen. One conspicuous exception is a corner-counter and back-splash made of fossil-rock that I got from my friend, who is dying from liver cancer. It all goes well together.

I have done three projects using chalkboard paint, the first was a wall down in the basement for my kids when they were little, it worked pretty well, it was on wallboard. The second is a small board in my library/office, not too bad, it was on a piece of cabinet plywood, it isn't too smooth, but it works. The 3rd was in a really smooth sheet of cabinet grad plywood and I sanded the paint layers in between coats, it is in my son's room and is obviously the best of the bunch.

I also suggest mounting on a wall and trimming it after the fact, it looks so much better.

Related to Is Chalkboard Paint as Effective as a Real Chalkboard?

1. How durable is chalkboard paint?

Chalkboard paint is typically quite durable and can withstand repeated use and erasing. However, the durability may vary depending on the brand and type of surface it is applied to. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper application and maintenance to ensure the best durability.

2. Can chalkboard paint be used on any surface?

Chalkboard paint can be used on a variety of surfaces, including wood, metal, glass, and even plastic. However, it is important to note that some surfaces may require additional preparation or priming before applying the paint to ensure proper adhesion and durability.

3. Is chalkboard paint safe for children to use?

In general, chalkboard paint is safe for children to use. However, it is recommended to use non-toxic, water-based chalkboard paint for any projects or surfaces that children will be using. It is also important to supervise children while they are using the paint and to ensure proper ventilation when working with the paint.

4. How do I clean and maintain a chalkboard painted surface?

To clean a chalkboard painted surface, simply use a damp cloth or sponge to wipe away any chalk dust or residue. For tougher stains or marks, a mild cleaning solution can be used. It is important to avoid using abrasive materials or harsh chemicals, as they may damage the paint. To maintain the surface, it is recommended to reapply a fresh coat of chalkboard paint every 2-3 years.

5. Can I use regular chalk on a chalkboard painted surface?

Yes, regular chalk can be used on a chalkboard painted surface. However, it is recommended to use soft, non-toxic chalk for best results. Other types of chalk, such as oil-based chalk or liquid chalk markers, may be more difficult to erase and may require additional cleaning methods.