How good are the MIT introductory physics series?

In summary: Some people find them to be decently written, but they may not be suitable as main textbooks due to their wordiness. However, I cannot comment on the other books in the series as I have not taken those courses yet. I have been told that the series may be a bit outdated.
Physicaa
I was wondering, are the MIT introductory series any good compared to, let's say, Halliday and Resnick ?

Any opninion ?

Physics news on Phys.org
MIT opencourseware you mean?

I like AP French's Newtonian Mechanics, I think it's decently written, but it's quite wordy and probably wouldn't hold up as a main textbook when there are so many other good ones out there.

As for the others, I can't comment, I haven't taken QM, optics, or relativity yet. I've been told that the series is a little outdated.

http://books.wwnorton.com/books/book-template.aspx?ser=The+M.I.T.+Introductory+Physics+Series

I think you're referring to this series?

Mondayman said:
I like AP French's Newtonian Mechanics, I think it's decently written, but it's quite wordy and probably wouldn't hold up as a main textbook when there are so many other good ones out there.

As for the others, I can't comment, I haven't taken QM, optics, or relativity yet. I've been told that the series is a little outdated.

http://books.wwnorton.com/books/book-template.aspx?ser=The+M.I.T.+Introductory+Physics+Series

I think you're referring to this series?
Yes, these ones

micromass said:
MIT opencourseware you mean?
No, I mean the books written by AP French.

Related to How good are the MIT introductory physics series?

1. How rigorous is the MIT introductory physics series?

The MIT introductory physics series is highly rigorous and covers a wide range of topics in depth. The curriculum is designed to challenge students and prepare them for advanced studies in physics.

2. Is the MIT introductory physics series suitable for beginners?

While the MIT introductory physics series is a challenging curriculum, it is also designed for students who have not had any prior exposure to physics. The series starts with the basics and gradually builds upon them, making it suitable for beginners.

3. How does the MIT introductory physics series compare to other introductory physics courses?

The MIT introductory physics series is widely recognized as one of the best introductory physics courses in the world. Its curriculum is comprehensive and the teaching methods used are highly effective, making it stand out from other introductory physics courses.

4. Are the resources and materials used in the MIT introductory physics series easily accessible?

Yes, all resources and materials used in the MIT introductory physics series are easily accessible to students. This includes textbooks, lecture notes, practice problems, and online resources. They are also regularly updated to ensure the most up-to-date information is available to students.

5. Can students expect to gain a good understanding of physics through the MIT introductory physics series?

Yes, the MIT introductory physics series is designed to provide students with a thorough understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles of physics. It also encourages critical thinking and problem-solving skills, preparing students for further studies and careers in the field of physics.