How fast is the shell moving when it hits the rocks?

In summary, Seagulls are often observed dropping clams and other shellfish from a height to the rocks below, as a means of opening the shells. If a seagull drops a shell from rest at a height of 14m, how fast is the shell moving when it hits the rocks?
dg_5021
Seagulls are often observed dropping clams and other shellfish from a height to the rocks below, as a means of opening the shells. If a seagull drops a shell from rest at a height of 14m, how fast is the shell moving when it hits the rocks?

X= 1/2 gt^t

i got 1.68945 secs do I round off to 1.7 or 1.69?

Physics news on Phys.org
That really irrelevant physically. What you have to do is ask your teacher how many decimals he wants you to round up to. In my days, it was 2 decimals. So 1.69 would have been the answer that wouldt have avoided me to lose .25 points in an exam.

Last edited:
Are significant digits not concerned here rather than decimal places? My answer on an exam would be 1.7, because the original datum has two significant digits.

Like I said, it's his teacher's choice. We didn't care about significant digits, it was 2 decimals, that's all.

Then your teacher was being sloppy. There is no point in pretending that your answer is more accurate than the data you were given.

I will agree that it is a good idea to check with your teacher to see how precise he/she wants you to be. It is your teacher that is giving you your grade, not quasar986 or myself!

absolutely!

HallsofIvy said:
Then your teacher was being sloppy. There is no point in pretending that your answer is more accurate than the data you were given.

I will agree that it is a good idea to check with your teacher to see how precise he/she wants you to be. It is your teacher that is giving you your grade, not quasar986 or myself!

i think the point to be discussed with the teacher is exactly that: does the teacher have a "preferred" number of digits for rounding, accuracy, etc., or do they really want you to get the idea that your answer is only as accurate as the accuracy of the least accurate number in your calculations or measurements!

i believe that is the best lesson to take away from this question...
+af
:smile:

Related to How fast is the shell moving when it hits the rocks?

1. How is the speed of the shell calculated?

The speed of the shell can be calculated using the formula v = d/t, where v is the velocity (speed), d is the distance traveled, and t is the time taken to travel that distance. In order to accurately calculate the speed, precise measurements of both the distance traveled and the time taken must be obtained.

2. What factors can affect the speed of the shell?

The speed of the shell can be affected by various factors such as the initial force or energy used to launch the shell, air resistance, and the angle at which the shell is launched. Other factors such as wind and surface conditions can also impact the speed of the shell.

3. Can the speed of the shell be changed after it is launched?

Once the shell is launched, the speed at which it travels cannot be changed. However, external factors such as wind or air resistance can affect the speed of the shell during its flight. Additionally, the angle at which the shell is launched can also be adjusted to change its trajectory and potentially impact its speed upon impact.

4. How can the speed of the shell be measured in real-time?

One way to measure the speed of the shell in real-time is by using a radar gun. This device uses Doppler radar technology to measure the speed of moving objects, including the shell. Another method is by using high-speed cameras and analyzing the footage to determine the speed of the shell at different points during its flight.

5. What units are used to measure the speed of the shell?

The speed of the shell is typically measured in units of meters per second (m/s) or miles per hour (mph). In some cases, it may also be measured in kilometers per hour (km/h) or feet per second (ft/s). The unit of measurement used will depend on the specific circumstances and the preferences of the scientist conducting the study.