How fast is the angle of elevation changing for a rising weather balloon?

In summary, the angle of elevation of the weather balloon is changing at a rate of 3/4 radians per second.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A weather balloon is rising vertically at a speed of 10 meters per second. An observer is 40 meters away from the launch point of the balloon. the distance between the observer and the balloon in the air is 50 meters. How fast is the angle of elevation changing?

Homework Equations

Given the length of the hypotenuse is 50, and the bottom leg of the triangle is 40, it follows that the height of the balloon from its launch site is 30 meters.

The Attempt at a Solution

tan[itex]\theta[/itex] = opposite side "a" / adjacent side "b" = 30 / 40 = 3/4

Taking the derivative of both sides, we get d[itex]\theta[/itex]/dt*sec^2([itex]\theta[/itex]) = (a'b - b'a) / b^2

We are given a' is 10, and we know b' is 0 since the observer isn't moving on the ground. Therefore for the right hand side we get [10(40)]/(40^2). We divide this by sec^(theta) and get the answer right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Qube said:

Homework Statement

A weather balloon is rising vertically at a speed of 10 meters per second. An observer is 40 meters away from the launch point of the balloon. the distance between the observer and the balloon in the air is 50 meters. How fast is the angle of elevation changing?

Homework Equations

Given the length of the hypotenuse is 50, and the bottom leg of the triangle is 40, it follows that the height of the balloon from its launch site is 30 meters.

The Attempt at a Solution

tan[itex]\theta[/itex] = opposite side "a" / adjacent side "b" = 30 / 40 = 3/4

Taking the derivative of both sides, we get d[itex]\theta[/itex]/dt*sec^2([itex]\theta[/itex]) = (a'b - b'a) / b^2

We are given a' is 10, and we know b' is 0 since the observer isn't moving on the ground. Therefore for the right hand side we get [10(40)]/(40^2). We divide this by sec^(theta) and get the answer right?

No. You need to distinguish what the variables are and what is constant. The variables are the height of the balloon, which I will call ##h##, the hypotenuse, which I will call ##c##, and the angle ##\theta##. The distance along the ground is a constant ##40##. So, the equation with the variables would be ##\tan\theta = h/40## or ##h = 40\tan\theta##. You must differentiate this equation before you put in the instantaneous "snapshot" values of 50 and 10.

I suppose it's dangerous to mix the variables and the "snapshot" values right? I think I get the same answer either method. Is my way simply wrong, in terms of method?

Qube said:
I suppose it's dangerous to mix the variables and the "snapshot" values right?

It's certainly not a good idea. Generally you don't want to use them until after you have the related rates equation. If you put them in too early you may differentiate that variable thinking its derivative is zero when it isn't. That is a very common mistake although you may not have made it.

I think I get the same answer either method. Is my way simply wrong, in terms of method?

You didn't work yours all the way out and I didn't check it; maybe you do get the same answer. I get 4/25. Still, I have suggested a better way. You have treated both a and b in your equation as variables when differentiating when one is actually constant.

Likes 1 person
I get 4/25 using either method. Thanks for clarifying! I'll avoid mixing up instantaneous values with the variables from now on. In calculus, it's always the small things that get you (from the fact that critical points aren't really critical points if they're outside the domain of f(x) to this!)

bubaneqy.jpg

I wish everyone who posted images had as good handwriting as you do. You have it correct but I would have one more little nit-pick. You have written$$
\frac{d\theta}{dt}\sec^2\theta = \frac 1 {40} a'$$ $$
=\frac{10}{40}$$It would be better to write$$
\frac{d\theta}{dt}\sec^2\theta = \frac 1 {40} \frac{da}{dt}$$ $$
\frac{d\theta}{dt}\left(\frac 5 4 \right)^2 =\frac{10}{40}$$That would make it clear you are substituting the snapshot values into both sides of the related rates equation at the same time.

Thank you! That was just me scribbling some work down; my actual handwriting tends to be neater :)!

Related to How fast is the angle of elevation changing for a rising weather balloon?

1. What is the change in angle of elevation?

The change in angle of elevation refers to the difference in the angle at which an object is viewed from two different points. It is measured in degrees and can be calculated by finding the difference between the two angles of elevation.

2. How is the change in angle of elevation used in scientific research?

The change in angle of elevation is commonly used in fields such as geology, geography, and astronomy to measure the height or distance of objects. It is also used in surveying and mapping to determine the elevation of land and to create topographic maps.

3. What factors can affect the change in angle of elevation?

The change in angle of elevation can be affected by the height of the object being viewed, the distance between the two points of observation, and the curvature of the Earth. Atmospheric conditions such as refraction can also impact the accuracy of the measurements.

4. How is the change in angle of elevation related to trigonometry?

The change in angle of elevation is a concept that is closely related to trigonometry, specifically the sine and cosine functions. These trigonometric functions can be used to calculate the change in angle of elevation and are essential in solving problems related to this topic.

5. Can the change in angle of elevation be negative?

Yes, the change in angle of elevation can be negative if the second angle of elevation is lower than the first angle. This indicates that the object is moving downward or the observer is moving to a lower point of view. However, in most scientific applications, the change in angle of elevation is considered positive as it represents an increase in elevation.