How Fast Does the Area of a Triangle Change with Increasing Angle?

In summary: In this case, the side length are not constants, so the derivative would be zero. Not when they are factors...recall:\d{}{x}\left(k\cdot f(x)\right)=k\cdot\d{}{x}\left(f(x)\right)$In this case, the side length are not constants, so the derivative would be zero.
tmt1
Two sides of a triangle are 4 m and 5 m in length and the angle between them is increasing at a rate of 0.06 rad/s. Find the rate at which the area of the triangle is increasing when the angle between the sides of fixed length is $$\pi/3$$

When the angle is $$pi/3$$, the third side is equal to : $$\sqrt{21}$$ based on the law of cosines.I'm not sure which formula for Area I should use to figure this problem out.

Physics news on Phys.org
tmt said:
Two sides of a triangle are 4 m and 5 m in length and the angle between them is increasing at a rate of 0.06 rad/s. Find the rate at which the area of the triangle is increasing when the angle between the sides of fixed length is $$\pi/3$$

When the angle is $$pi/3$$, the third side is equal to : $$\sqrt{21}$$ based on the law of cosines.I'm not sure which formula for Area I should use to figure this problem out.

Hi tmt, :)

You could use derivatives to solve this question. Suppose the angle between the two given sides is $\theta$. Then the area of the triangle is given by,

\[A=\frac{4\times 5\times \sin\theta}{2}\]

You have to find $\frac{dA}{dt}$ when $\theta=\frac{\pi}{3}$. Try to do it from here. :)

Sudharaka said:
Hi tmt, :)

You could use derivatives to solve this question. Suppose the angle between the two given sides is $\theta$. Then the area of the triangle is given by,

\[A=\frac{4\times 5\times \sin\theta}{2}\]

You have to find $\frac{dA}{d\theta}$ when $\theta=\frac{\pi}{3}$. Try to do it from here. :)

\[A=\frac{4\times 5\times \sin\theta}{2}\]So I differentiate this with respect to time in seconds.

$\d{A}{t} = \frac{1}{2} \cos\theta \d{\theta}{t}$

I plug this in:

$\cos \pi / 2 = 1/2$

and I know that

\d{\theta}{t} = 0.06 radians/second

so

$\d{A}{t} = 0.06/ 4 m^2 / second$

or

0.015 squared/ second, but the answer in the text is 0.3 metres squared a second?

tmt said:
$\d{A}{t} = \frac{1}{2} \cos\theta \d{\theta}{t}$

Double check this one. You've left out the side lengths from your derivative

SamJohannes said:
Double check this one. You've left out the side lengths from your derivative

The side length are constant so when they are differentiated they go to 0, don't they?

tmt said:
The side length are constant so when they are differentiated they go to 0, don't they?

Not when they are factors...recall:

\(\displaystyle \d{}{x}\left(k\cdot f(x)\right)=k\cdot\d{}{x}\left(f(x)\right)\)

Related to How Fast Does the Area of a Triangle Change with Increasing Angle?

1. What is the concept of related rates for a triangle?

The concept of related rates for a triangle is a mathematical application that involves finding the rate of change of one side or angle of a triangle with respect to time, while the other sides and angles remain constant. It is used to solve real-world problems involving changing dimensions of a triangle.

2. What are the key formulas used in related rates for a triangle?

The key formulas used in related rates for a triangle are the Pythagorean theorem, trigonometric ratios (such as sine, cosine, and tangent), and the derivatives of these trigonometric functions. These formulas are used to express the relationships between the changing dimensions of the triangle.

3. What are the steps to solve a related rates problem for a triangle?

The steps to solve a related rates problem for a triangle are:1. Draw a diagram of the triangle and label all given and unknown variables.2. Write an equation that relates the changing variables in the triangle.3. Take the derivative of the equation with respect to time.4. Substitute in the known values and solve for the unknown rate of change.5. Check your solution and interpret the result in the context of the problem.

4. How is the chain rule used in related rates for a triangle?

The chain rule is used in related rates for a triangle to find the derivative of a function that involves multiple changing variables. In a related rates problem, the variables are usually related through a trigonometric function, and the chain rule is used to find the derivative of this function.

5. What are some common real-world applications of related rates for a triangle?

Some common real-world applications of related rates for a triangle include finding the rate of change of the height or volume of a water tank, the rate of change of the angle of elevation or depression in a right triangle, and the rate of change of the length of a shadow cast by an object. These applications involve changing dimensions of a triangle and can be solved using related rates.