How Fast Does Gravity Travel?

In summary: According to the current understanding of general relativity, gravity travels at the speed of light in a vacuum. However, the possibility of gravitational waves traveling at a different speed in a medium, similar to how light travels at different speeds in different media, has been explored. This idea is still being researched and is not yet fully understood.The concept of a graviton, a hypothetical particle that carries the force of gravity, also plays a role in understanding the speed of gravity. The existence of gravitons is predicted by quantum theories of gravity, but their properties and behavior are still being studied. If gravitons do exist, it is believed that they would travel at the speed of light.Overall, the speed of gravity is still an area of
Astro_Will
Does gravity have a finite speed at which it effects an object. For example (and this is strictly hypothetical) if a new star were to suddenly appear near the orbit of Saturn would Earth instantly notice the influence or would it take a few minutes? When I think of Newtonian gravity I would just assume it travels at c so we would notice the gravitational effects the same time we saw the light from that star. But with relativity I'm really just not sure because I don't know if the bending of spacetime has any speed limit. I hope I'm making myself clear here.

Also: If gravity does travel at c is that only in a vacuum?

(Also an explanation of the graviton and what that means for the idea of spacetime would be appreciated)

Physics news on Phys.org
See the first entry in "Frequently Asked Relativity Questions" at the top of this forum. :smile:

Then if anything there needs to be clarified, ask away!

Astro_Will said:
Does gravity have a finite speed at which it effects an object.

This forum has a FAQ on this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=635645

Also, the Usenet Physics FAQ gives a good overview:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/grav_speed.html

Astro_Will said:
For example (and this is strictly hypothetical) if a new star were to suddenly appear near the orbit of Saturn

This is not just hypothetical, it's impossible. A star can't appear out of nowhere; that would violate conservation of energy. That means we can't even formulate a consistent mathematical model in General Relativity of what you are trying to describe. It turns out to be somewhat tricky to formulate a scenario that captures what we intuitively think of when we think of "changes in gravity propagating", and can also be consistently modeled in GR. However, when we do, as the FAQs above note, the answer we get is that gravity propagates at the speed of light.

Astro_Will said:
When I think of Newtonian gravity I would just assume it travels at c

No; the speed of gravity in Newton's theory is infinite. Just look at the expression for gravitational force:

[tex]F = \frac{G m_1 m_2}{r^2}[/tex]

The [itex]m_1[/itex], [itex]m_2[/itex], and [itex]r[/itex] in that equation are all evaluated "right now"--in Newton's theory there is absolute space and absolute time, so "right now" has a well-defined meaning. So if any variable changes, the entire Universe instantly "sees" the change. This is the main reason why Einstein, once he had come up with Special Relativity, had to then come up with a new theory of gravity--General Relativity: the old theory of gravity, Newton's, was obviously incompatible with relativity.

Astro_Will said:
If gravity does travel at c is that only in a vacuum?

I don't know that this aspect of the question has really been considered; all of the treatments that I'm aware of only talk about gravitational waves (which are the way changes in gravity propagate) in a vacuum.

Last edited by a moderator:
No questions. Thanks for this. I'll be sure to check the FAQ first from now on.

Related to How Fast Does Gravity Travel?

1. What is the speed of gravity?

The speed of gravity is the speed at which the force of gravity propagates or travels. In the theory of general relativity, this speed is considered to be the same as the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. Is the speed of gravity constant?

According to the theory of general relativity, the speed of gravity is constant and is equal to the speed of light. However, there are some alternative theories that suggest the speed of gravity may vary in certain situations.

3. How is the speed of gravity measured?

The speed of gravity cannot be directly measured, but it can be indirectly calculated by observing the effects of gravity on objects. For example, the time it takes for a planet to orbit around a star can be used to calculate the strength of gravity and therefore the speed at which it travels.

4. Does the speed of gravity affect the orbit of planets?

Yes, the speed of gravity does affect the orbit of planets. According to the theory of general relativity, the speed of gravity influences the curvature of space-time, which in turn affects the path of objects moving through it. This is why planets orbit around stars instead of moving in a straight line.

5. Can the speed of gravity be faster than the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of general relativity, the speed of gravity is equal to the speed of light. This is because both gravity and light travel through space-time, and they are subject to the same limitations. However, there are some theories that suggest the speed of gravity may be slightly slower than the speed of light, but it cannot be faster.