How Fast Does a Flywheel Spin at 7 Radians per Second?

In summary, the linear speed of a point on a flywheel with a $15cm$ diameter rotating at a rate of $\displaystyle\frac{7 rad}{s}$ is $\displaystyle\frac{3150 cm}{min}$.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
A flywheel with a $15cm$ diameter is rotating at a rate of $\displaystyle\frac{7 rad}{s}$
What is the linear speed of a point on the rim, in $\displaystyle\frac{cm}{min} $.

$s=r\theta$ so $7.5(7) = 152$cm
then $\displaystyle v=\frac{s}{t}=\frac{152cm}{s}\cdot\frac{60s}{min}=\frac{1320cm}{min}$

I am not sure just what a Radian (rad) is in this, so hope I didn't make this to simple. don't have answer so hope mine ok

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your method is correct (but you have made some arithmetical errors)...I would write:

\(\displaystyle v=r\omega=\frac{15}{2}\text{ cm}\cdot7\frac{1}{\text{s}}\cdot\frac{60\text{ s}}{1\text{ min}}=?\)

MarkFL said:
Your method is correct (but you have made some arithmetical errors)...I would write:

\(\displaystyle v=r\omega=\frac{15}{2}\text{ cm}\cdot7\frac{1}{\text{s}}\cdot\frac{60\text{ s}}{1\text{ min}}=?\)
$\displaystyle\frac{3150 cm}{min}$

karush said:
$\displaystyle\frac{3150 cm}{min}$

Correct. The method you used is:

\(\displaystyle v=\frac{s}{t}=\frac{r\theta}{t}=r\frac{\theta}{t}\)

Now defining the angular velocity $\omega$ to be:

\(\displaystyle \omega=\frac{\theta}{t}\)

we then have:

\(\displaystyle v=r\omega\)

That is, the linear velocity $v$ is the product of the radius of motion and the angular velocity.

Did you find the error in your previous calculations?

let me see if this set up ok

a wheel with $30cm$ radius is rotating at a rate of $\displaystyle{3rad}{s}$ what is v in $\displaystyle\frac{m}{s}$
$\displaystyle v=r\omega$
$\displaystyle 30\text{ cm}\cdot3\frac{1}{\text{s}}\cdot \frac{m}{100\text{cm}}=$

karush said:
let me see if this set up ok

a wheel with $30cm$ radius is rotating at a rate of $\displaystyle{3rad}{s}$ what is v in $\displaystyle\frac{m}{s}$
$\displaystyle v=r\omega$
$\displaystyle 30\text{ cm}\cdot3\frac{1}{\text{s}}\cdot \frac{m}{100\text{cm}}=$

Yes, that is correct. (Clapping)

oops just noticed the ans should be in \(\displaystyle \frac{\text {m}}{\text {min}}\)

so...

$\displaystyle 30\text{ cm}\cdot \frac{3}{\text{s}}
\cdot \frac{60 \text { s}}{\text { min}}
\cdot \frac{\text { m}}{100\text{ cm}}=\frac{54 \text {m}}{\text {min}}$

- - - Updated - - -

MarkFL said:
Did you find the error in your previous calculations?

yes I had 152 cm it should be 52.5 cm

Related to How Fast Does a Flywheel Spin at 7 Radians per Second?

What is the linear speed of a flywheel?

The linear speed of a flywheel is the distance that a point on the edge of the flywheel travels in a certain amount of time. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s).

How is the linear speed of a flywheel calculated?

The linear speed of a flywheel can be calculated by dividing the circumference of the flywheel by the time it takes for one full revolution. The formula is: linear speed = 2πr / t, where r is the radius of the flywheel and t is the time it takes for one revolution.

What factors affect the linear speed of a flywheel?

The linear speed of a flywheel is affected by the size and shape of the flywheel, as well as the rotational speed. The larger the flywheel, the faster the linear speed will be. Additionally, a flywheel with a larger radius will have a higher linear speed than one with a smaller radius. The speed of the flywheel's rotation will also impact its linear speed.

What is the purpose of calculating the linear speed of a flywheel?

The linear speed of a flywheel is important in various industries and applications, such as in engines and machines where rotational energy is converted into linear motion. It is also used in the design and optimization of flywheels for different purposes, such as energy storage and stabilization.

What are some real-world examples of linear speed in flywheels?

Some real-world examples of linear speed in flywheels include car engines, where the flywheel helps maintain a consistent speed and provides energy for acceleration. In bicycles, the flywheel helps to keep the pedals moving smoothly. Flywheels are also used in power plants to store excess energy in the form of rotational motion, which can be converted back into electricity when needed.