Another angular acceleration problem. Converting radians to meters

In summary, the conversation was about a solved angular acceleration problem involving converting radians to meters. The problem involved a gyroscope flywheel being accelerated from rest at a certain rate until it reached a specific angular speed. The conversation included discussions about tangential and radial acceleration, as well as finding the distance a point on the rim of the flywheel moves during the spin-up process. The solution involved converting values to appropriate units and using kinematics equations.
rosstheboss23
[SOLVED] Another angular acceleration problem. Converting radians to meters...

Homework Statement

A gyroscope flywheel of radius 3.13 cm is accelerated from rest at 15.0 rad/s2 until its angular speed is 2760 rev/min.

(a) What is the tangential acceleration of a point on the rim of the flywheel during this spin-up process?
m/s2

(b) What is the radial acceleration of this point when the flywheel is spinning at full speed?
m/s2

(c) Through what distance does a point on the rim move during the spin-up?
m

Homework Equations

X=Xo + Vot +1/2(a)t(squared)
V= Vo +at
V(squared) + Vo (squared)= 2a(x)
Replace x with radians, V with angular velocity (W), and a with angular accelation

The Attempt at a Solution

Working out a and b wasn't difficult, but finding c proved difficult. I first converted the radius to meters. I calculated both parts a and b. In part a I converted 2760rev/min to 289.03rad/s and converted the radius given in cm to m. Then I multiplied both and got a small tangential acceleration of .4695. Next for part b I calculated the radial acceleration by using the 289.03rad/s(squared) and multiplying it by the radius. For part c I found the hypotenuse acceleration of both of these by pythagorean's theorem and then I tried to use the basic kinematics equations converted to angular values for my answer and ended up getting 2784.54 radians. So after that I tried to divide it by 2times pie to convert it over to meters getting 443.17meters, but for some reason I still got it wrong. Did I convert it wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
In this problem Part C is what I am having difficultly getting. I need to get the answer in meters, but the angular kinematics equations only give me radians what should I do?

Nevermind this one I found out how to do. .5((2760 times 2pi/60) times 2614.69 Part B answer)squared. Divided by tangential acceleration of .4695

Related to Another angular acceleration problem. Converting radians to meters

1. What is the formula for converting radians to meters?

The formula for converting radians to meters is arc length = radius * angle in radians. This formula is derived from the definition of radians, which states that 1 radian is equal to the arc length of a circle divided by its radius.

2. Why do we need to convert radians to meters?

Radians and meters are two different units of measurement for angles and distances, respectively. Converting radians to meters allows us to compare angles and distances in a more consistent and meaningful way. It also helps in solving problems and making calculations related to circular motion and rotation.

3. Can we directly convert radians to meters?

No, we cannot directly convert radians to meters. Radians measure angles, while meters measure distances. To convert radians to meters, we need to multiply the angle in radians by the radius of the circle.

4. What is the significance of converting radians to meters?

Converting radians to meters is significant because it allows us to measure and compare angles and distances in a more precise and standardized way. It also helps in understanding and solving problems related to circular motion and rotation.

5. Is there a difference between converting radians to meters and converting degrees to meters?

Yes, there is a difference between converting radians to meters and converting degrees to meters. Radians and degrees are two different units for measuring angles, and therefore, the conversion formulas are different. Converting degrees to meters involves multiplying the angle in degrees by the circumference of the circle, while converting radians to meters involves multiplying the angle in radians by the radius of the circle.