How far will this block travel when launched on the floor?

In summary: My initial guess was that the block was travelling at 11.3 ft/s when it was actually travelling at 45 ft/s. This would cause the block to travel a total of 182.3 feet instead of the 118.6 feet I calculated.In summary, our teacher gave us a wooden block, a meter, stick, and a timer. He gave us no constants. We were asked to determine how far the block would travel across the floor if it were launched with an initial velocity of 11.3 ft/s on the floor. Our calculations showed the block would travel 118.6 feet if it were launched with an initial velocity of 11.3 ft/s, but our experimental data showed the block travelled 182.3 feet
Mbaboy
I consider myself good in physics, but I was unable to figure this problem out after working on it for almost an hour and a half. I approached it many different ways, but I always hit a dead end or a solution I knew was wrong.
Our teacher gave us a wooden block, a meter, stick, and a timer. He gave us no constants. We were asked to determine how far the block would travel across the floor if it were launched with an initial velocity of 11.3 ft/s on the floor.

The main problem was we couldn't test the block with different initial velocities because there was no way to measure it. We were given half an hour, and with time running out we decided the best way to do it was launch it with an unknown initial velocity and record the distance and time. Therefore, if the final velocity, displacement, and time are known, theoretically one could solve for acceleration. The problem is I couldn’t no matter what models I used to find acceleration.
Thinking back on it, if I had throw the block a certain distance and measured that distance and time I could have obtained the initial velocity, and let it slide afterwards to get a displacement and another time. It seems too complicated though. Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The key, as you seem to realize, is to somehow measure the acceleration. The acceleration, which depends on the friction, will be the same for any speed. What's a simple kinematic relationship between distance, time, and acceleration?

x = vt + at^2

I first tried to use that and calculate the quadratic fuction on my calculator. It wasn't right though because its not quadratic if velocity is changing.

The proper equation is:
[tex]x = v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2[/tex]
But if you view the motion backwards, then you can take v_0 = 0.

Sorry, my last post was sloppy. That was the equation I used.
But when I did that, my a=9 ft/s/s which gives the distance as about 8 feet. The actual distance was about 45 feet.
Normally, I would conclude my experimental data is off, but its seems way too off.

Related to How far will this block travel when launched on the floor?

1. How is the distance the block will travel determined?

The distance the block will travel is determined by the initial velocity and angle at which it is launched, as well as the friction and other physical forces acting on it.

2. Can the distance the block travels be predicted accurately?

Yes, the distance can be predicted accurately using mathematical equations and principles of physics. However, there may be slight variations due to external factors such as air resistance and imperfections in the surface of the floor.

3. How can the initial velocity of the block be measured?

The initial velocity of the block can be measured using a device such as a radar gun or by recording the motion with a high-speed camera and analyzing the footage.

4. What role does the angle of launch play in determining the distance traveled?

The angle of launch affects the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity, which in turn affects the distance traveled. A higher angle will result in a longer flight time and therefore a greater distance traveled.

5. Are there any factors that can cause the block to travel a shorter distance than predicted?

Yes, factors such as air resistance, imperfections in the surface of the floor, and variations in the initial velocity can cause the block to travel a shorter distance than predicted. Additionally, external forces such as gusts of wind or uneven surfaces can also affect the distance traveled.