A rolling ball, find distance traveled

In summary, the author suggests looking at the second half of the time to find the acceleration. They found that the average speed in 5s-10s was 40m/s. They also suggest using a spreadsheet and setting a variable equal to the acceleration to find the distance covered over a time interval.
rebbe90
Homework Statement
A ball starts from rest and rolls down a hill with uniform acceleration, traveling 200m during the second 5s of it's motion. How far did it roll during it's first 5s of motion.
Relevant Equations
V = s/t
I figured the best way to do this is to focus on the second half of time. We can use the information there to find acceleration and that should make it fairly simple to find distance traveled in the first 5 seconds. Average speed in 5s-10s I found to be 40m/s.

My problem is that to find the acceleration I think I have to find the position as a function of time and derive it. Stuck on how to make the function.

Physics news on Phys.org
The standard expressions of uniform acceleration tell you that the position varies quadratically with time, ##x = \frac{1}{2} at^2 \propto t^2##. If you double the time, then by what factor does the position increase?

Likes Steve4Physics, bob012345 and PeroK
rebbe90 said:
My problem is that to find the acceleration I think I have to find the position as a function of time and derive it. Stuck on how to make the function.
What about using a spreadsheet and setting a variable equal to a value of acceleration. Then compute the distance in the first ##5s## and in the second ##5s##. Tune the variable until the distance in the second ##5s## is ##200m##. That would give you the answer for the first ##5s##.

Then, try to figure out algebraically what the tuning process is doing.

Last edited:
ergospherical said:
The standard expressions of uniform acceleration tell you that the position varies quadratically with time, ##x = \frac{1}{2} at^2 \propto t^2##. If you double the time, then by what factor does the position increase?
This hint is a great example of how understanding the principles involved will quickly cut through a mass of formulas and get to the right answer fast, especially useful on a test.

I add a geometric suggestion to the others. The distance covered over a time interval is the area under the velocity vs. time curve. Look at the v vs. t graph below. The distance covered in the first 5 s is represented by the area in red. The distance covered in the next 5 s is represented by the area in green. If the green area is 200 m, how big is the red area?

Vee_vs_Tee.png

Likes bob012345 and PeroK

1. How do you calculate the distance traveled by a rolling ball?

The distance traveled by a rolling ball can be calculated using the formula: distance = 0.5 x acceleration x time^2. This formula takes into account the initial velocity of the ball, which is usually zero for a rolling ball.

2. What is the difference between distance and displacement for a rolling ball?

Distance refers to the total length of the path traveled by the rolling ball, while displacement refers to the shortest distance between the starting point and the ending point of the ball's motion. Displacement takes into account the direction of the motion, while distance does not.

3. How does the surface affect the distance traveled by a rolling ball?

The surface on which the ball is rolling can greatly affect the distance traveled. A smoother surface will result in less friction and therefore a longer distance traveled, while a rougher surface will have more friction and result in a shorter distance traveled.

4. Can the distance traveled by a rolling ball be greater than the initial height?

No, the distance traveled by a rolling ball cannot be greater than the initial height. This is because the ball's motion is affected by gravity, which will eventually bring the ball back down to the ground.

5. How does the mass of the ball affect the distance traveled?

The mass of the ball does not directly affect the distance traveled by a rolling ball. However, a heavier ball may have more momentum and therefore be able to travel a slightly longer distance before coming to a stop.