How far must the mass fall to give a rotational rate of 3 rev/s?

In summary, to find the distance the mass must fall to give the wheel a rotational rate of 3.0 rev/s, we can use the equation for rotational kinetic energy and set it equal to the equation for linear kinetic energy. From there, we can solve for the initial linear velocity and then use the equation for linear motion to find the distance. Don't forget to convert the given values to the correct units.
skysunsand

Homework Statement

A whee and axle having a total moment of inertia of .0002 kg*m^2 is caused to rotate about a horizontal axis by means of an 800g mass attached to a cord wrapped around the axle. The radius of the axle is 2 cm. Starting from rest, how far must the mass fall to give the wheel a rotational rate of 3.0 rev/s?

I changed all the values here to 800g -> 8 kg
2 cm -> .02 m
3 rev/s -> 6pi rad/s

Homework Equations

ωi = 0, ωf= 6pi rad/s

Downward force on the object would be mgh- Ft, but the problem doesn't mention tension at all so I don't know about using that equation.

I can figure out v, if I use v=rw, but I don't know if that's even useful to this problem.

KE total = 1/2 mv^2 + 1/2Iw^2 is likely going to be important, but I have no clue how it would relate to figuring out the height this thing has to fall.

The Attempt at a Solution

^ Above is the thought process of the equations. Otherwise, I haven't got a clue.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

First of all, great job identifying the equations that could potentially be used to solve this problem. Let's break it down step by step:

1. We know that the rotational rate (ω) is equal to 6π rad/s. We also know that ω = v/r, where v is the linear velocity and r is the radius of the axle. This means that we can find the linear velocity of the mass attached to the cord.

2. Once we have the linear velocity, we can use the equation for kinetic energy (KE = 1/2*m*v^2) to find the initial kinetic energy of the system.

3. We also know that the initial kinetic energy is equal to the final kinetic energy (since the system starts from rest). The final kinetic energy is equal to the rotational kinetic energy (KE = 1/2*I*ω^2), where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the final rotational rate.

4. Now, we can set these two equations equal to each other and solve for the initial linear velocity.

5. Once we have the initial linear velocity, we can use the equation for linear motion (v^2 = u^2 + 2*a*s) to find the distance (s) that the mass must fall.

6. Don't forget to convert the mass from 800g to 8kg and the radius from 2cm to 0.02m.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you need further clarification or assistance. Good luck!

Related to How far must the mass fall to give a rotational rate of 3 rev/s?

1. How does mass affect the rotational rate?

The distance that the mass falls is directly proportional to its rotational rate. This means that the greater the mass, the farther it must fall to achieve a rotational rate of 3 rev/s.

2. What is the formula for calculating the distance a mass must fall to reach a rotational rate of 3 rev/s?

The formula for calculating the distance a mass must fall to achieve a rotational rate of 3 rev/s is d = (3/2π) * (I/m) * (g/r), where d is the distance, I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and r is the radius at which the mass is rotating.

3. Is there a minimum mass required to reach a rotational rate of 3 rev/s?

Yes, there is a minimum mass required to reach a rotational rate of 3 rev/s. This is because the moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, is directly proportional to the mass. Therefore, a certain amount of mass is needed to generate enough momentum to achieve the desired rotational rate.

4. How does the radius affect the distance the mass must fall?

The radius at which the mass is rotating is inversely proportional to the distance it must fall to achieve a rotational rate of 3 rev/s. This means that the larger the radius, the shorter the distance the mass must fall to reach the desired rotational rate.

5. Can other factors, such as air resistance, affect the distance the mass must fall?

Yes, other factors such as air resistance and friction can affect the distance a mass must fall to achieve a rotational rate of 3 rev/s. These factors can decrease the efficiency of the system and may require the mass to fall a greater distance to achieve the desired rotational rate.