How Far Must a Helicopter Fly to Decrease Sound Intensity by a Factor of 4?

In summary, the helicopter must fly 2180 m in a straight line to the ground in order to measure an intensity of I/4.
bbfcfm2000
I am confused about a homework problem and was hoping that maybe somebody here can help...

Homework Problem
When a helicopter is hovering 1090 m directly overhead, an observer on the ground measures a sound intensity I. Assume that sound is radiated uniformly from the helicopter and that ground reflections are negligible. How far (in m) must the helicopter fly in a straight line parallel to the ground before the observer measures a sound intensity of I/4?

According to my textbook, "If the distance increases by a factor of two, the sound intensity decreases by a factor of 2^2=4"

So I figured that to find the answer I simply muiltiply the initial distance (1090m) by 2 so the sound intensity (I) decreases by 4 (I/4). When I do the math, my answer is 2180m but this is not the correct answer.

What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
bbfcfm2000 said:
I am confused about a homework problem and was hoping that maybe somebody here can help...

Homework Problem
When a helicopter is hovering 1090 m directly overhead, an observer on the ground measures a sound intensity I. Assume that sound is radiated uniformly from the helicopter and that ground reflections are negligible. How far (in m) must the helicopter fly in a straight line parallel to the ground before the observer measures a sound intensity of I/4?

According to my textbook, "If the distance increases by a factor of two, the sound intensity decreases by a factor of 2^2=4"

So I figured that to find the answer I simply muiltiply the initial distance (1090m) by 2 so the sound intensity (I) decreases by 4 (I/4). When I do the math, my answer is 2180m but this is not the correct answer.

What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

You have to use the pythagorean theorem. 2180m is the distance from the helicopter to the observer. But the question asks how far the helicopter flew horizontally. Draw a sketch...

Thank you for the help!

Ah ha, I see. Now my problem then becomes a basic algebra issue. I understand that the pythagorean theorem is A^2 + B^2 = C^2 and when I sub in the values I get as an equation:

C^2=sqrt(A^2 + B^2) --> 2180^2 = sqrt(1090^2 + B^2)

But I do not know how to solve for B^2 when A and C are both known. Can someone maybe help with my algebra on this one?

I added a graphic to this thread that depicts the problem.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Physics HW Problem.gif
    Physics HW Problem.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 499
No,no,your formula expressing Pythagora's theorem is completely wrong

[tex] 2180^{2}=1090^{2}+B^{2} [/tex]

Solve for "B",knowing that only a positive solution si acceptable...

Daniel.

bbfcfm2000 said:
Thank you for the help!

Ah ha, I see. Now my problem then becomes a basic algebra issue. I understand that the pythagorean theorem is A^2 + B^2 = C^2 and when I sub in the values I get as an equation:

C^2=sqrt(A^2 + B^2) --> 2180^2 = sqrt(1090^2 + B^2)

you inserted a wrong sqrt here. It should be:

C^2=A^2 + B^2 --> 2180^2 = 1090^2 + B^2

Solve for B here.

Thanks for all the replies, I got it! I really did know how to do this (solve for B^2 that is), I must have just had a mental block as my brain has been on vacation for a month.

1887.94 m.

Thanks again!

Related to How Far Must a Helicopter Fly to Decrease Sound Intensity by a Factor of 4?

What is sound intensity?

Sound intensity refers to the amount of energy that is transmitted through sound waves per unit area. It is measured in watts per square meter (W/m²) and is directly related to the loudness of a sound.

How is sound intensity measured?

Sound intensity is typically measured using a sound level meter. This device measures the pressure of sound waves and converts it into decibels (dB), which is a logarithmic unit used to measure the intensity of sound.

What factors affect sound intensity?

Several factors can affect sound intensity, including the distance from the sound source, the size and shape of the sound waves, and the medium through which the sound is traveling. Additionally, the frequency and amplitude of the sound can also affect its intensity.

What is the difference between sound intensity and sound pressure?

Sound intensity and sound pressure are closely related but different concepts. Sound intensity refers to the amount of energy that is transmitted through sound waves per unit area, while sound pressure is a measure of the force that sound waves exert on a surface. Sound pressure is directly related to the amplitude of sound waves, while sound intensity takes into account both the amplitude and frequency of the sound.

How does sound intensity affect human hearing?

Exposure to high levels of sound intensity can damage the delicate structures in the inner ear and lead to hearing loss. The intensity of sound also affects how loud a sound appears to us, with higher intensities being perceived as louder. However, the relationship between sound intensity and perceived loudness is not linear, and our ears can adapt to different levels of sound intensity over time.