Factors affecting sound intensity

In summary: I say in this way? as the distance from the source incraeses , the amplitude of particle at a partcular point decreases . the decreases in the amplitude causes the intensity to drop? so the Intensity is dependent on amplitude square. because intensity has a 'direct 'reatioship between amplitude.
somecelxis

Homework Statement

the factor affecting sound intensity is amplitude and frequency . why not also the distance from the source (r) ,

in my opinion, intensity = power/area , so the intensity = power/ 4 pi r ^2 ... so I is inversely proportional to r^2 ...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
somecelxis said:
the factor affecting sound intensity is amplitude and frequency . why not also the distance from the source (r) ,
The amplitude and intensity are related. So as distance from the source increases, both amplitude and intensity drop.

Likes 1 person
Doc Al said:
The amplitude and intensity are related. So as distance from the source increases, both amplitude and intensity drop.

do you mean the intensity and 'distence from the source ' is not directly related , so i can't say that Intensuty is directly proportional to 1/'distence from the source' ?

somecelxis said:
do you mean the intensity and 'distence from the source ' is not directly related , so i can't say that Intensuty is directly proportional to 1/'distence from the source' ?
For a point source, the intensity of the sound is inversely proportional to the square of the distance. See: Inverse Square Law for Sound

Doc Al said:
For a point source, the intensity of the sound is inversely proportional to the square of the distance. See: Inverse Square Law for Sound

the link also gives the intensity of the sound is inversely proportional to the square of the distance. So why can't i say intensity of the sound is inversely proportional to the square of the distance? but i can only say the factor affecting sound intensity is amplitude and frequency which means Intensity is directly proportional to amplitude square and frequncy square

Doc Al said:

or can I say in this way? as the distance from the source incraeses , the amplitude of particle at a partcular point decreases . the decreases in the amplitude causes the intensity to drop? so the Intensity is dependent on amplitude square. beacuse intensity has a 'direct 'reatioship between amplitude.

Related to Factors affecting sound intensity

1. What is sound intensity?

Sound intensity is the measure of the energy that sound waves carry per unit area. It is typically measured in decibels (dB) and is perceived as loudness by the human ear.

2. How does distance affect sound intensity?

As sound waves travel through the air, they spread out and lose energy. This means that the further the distance from the sound source, the lower the sound intensity will be. In fact, sound intensity decreases by 6 decibels for every doubling of distance from the source.

3. What other factors affect sound intensity?

Aside from distance, other factors that can affect sound intensity include the size and shape of the sound source, the medium through which the sound is traveling (e.g. air, water, or solid), and any obstructions or barriers in the path of the sound waves.

4. How does frequency impact sound intensity?

Frequency, which is the number of sound waves per second, does not directly affect sound intensity. However, it can affect how loud a sound is perceived to be. Higher frequency sounds are typically perceived as louder than lower frequency sounds of the same intensity.

5. How is sound intensity measured?

Sound intensity can be measured using a device called a sound level meter, which detects and measures sound waves in decibels. This device can also be used to measure the sound intensity at different distances from the source, making it a useful tool for studying the factors that affect sound intensity.