How far does Sam land from the base of the cliff?

• Thread starter xstetsonx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Base
In summary, Sam with a mass of 60 kg takes off from rest up a 50 m high, 10° frictionless slope on his jet-powered skis with a thrust of 200 N. He keeps his skis tilted at 10° after becoming airborne and travels a distance of 287.94 m along the slope. Using the equation F=ma, we can calculate the acceleration on the slope to be 1.63 m/s^2. From there, we can determine the final velocity before Sam jumps off and use that to find the time he stays airborne (3.78 seconds) and the horizontal distance he travels (115.88 m). The acceleration on the x-axis is just 200/60
xstetsonx
Sam (60 kg) takes off (from rest) up a 50 m high, 10° frictionless slope on his jet-powered skis. The skis have a thrust of 200 N. He keeps his skis tilted at 10° after becoming airborne, as shown in Figure P6.43. How far does Sam land from the base of the cliff?

a=F/m

I used 50/sin10 to get the length of the slope-287.94m. Then i calculated the f on the slope. 200N-mgsin10. then i use that to divided by the mass which gives 1.63 for a. after that i go the final velocity before it jump off. then i have no idea wat to do next

Physics news on Phys.org
How long does he stay airborne for? How far, horizontally, does he travel in that time? If you don't know, look at your equations for kinematics and projectile motion.

i know i need to get the time from the y-axis then calculate the distance on x axis. but i am not sure wat do i put for Vi in the y axis

I thought you already calculated the speed that Sam leaves the cliff at. Just do Vsin10 to find the vertical component of his speed and that's your Vi.

ideasrule said:
I thought you already calculated the speed that Sam leaves the cliff at. Just do Vsin10 to find the vertical component of his speed and that's your Vi.

so t=-50=(30.6528sin10)t+.5(-9.8)t^2
t=3.78
then for the x axis
(30.6528cos10)3.78+.5(200/60)(3.78^2)
the acceleration on x-axis is just 200/60 right

Last edited:

Related to How far does Sam land from the base of the cliff?

1. How is the distance that Sam lands from the base of the cliff calculated?

The distance that Sam lands from the base of the cliff is calculated using the formula: distance = (initial velocity^2 x sin(2*angle))/gravity, where the initial velocity is the speed at which Sam jumps off the cliff, the angle is the angle of the cliff, and gravity is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. Can the distance that Sam lands from the base of the cliff be predicted?

Yes, the distance that Sam lands from the base of the cliff can be predicted using the formula mentioned above. However, factors such as air resistance and the shape of the cliff can also affect the actual distance.

3. What units are used to measure the distance that Sam lands from the base of the cliff?

The distance that Sam lands from the base of the cliff is usually measured in meters (m) or feet (ft).

4. How does the initial velocity affect the distance that Sam lands from the base of the cliff?

The higher the initial velocity, the farther the distance that Sam will land from the base of the cliff. This is because a higher initial velocity will result in a greater horizontal displacement before reaching the ground.

5. Is the distance that Sam lands from the base of the cliff affected by the mass of the object?

No, the distance that Sam lands from the base of the cliff is not affected by the mass of the object. This is because the mass of an object does not affect its acceleration due to gravity, which is the only factor that affects the distance in this scenario.