How Far Does a Proton Travel Above a Current-Carrying Wire?

In summary: When you enter a value that is out of range (e.g. 9.81 m/s^2 instead of 9.8 m/s2), the software rounds the input to the nearest valid value. This rounding error can result in a computed answer that is incorrect by as much as 1%. In this example, if you input 9.81 m/s^2, the software would round down to 9.7 m/s2, resulting in an answer of 8.38 e-12 instead of 8.38e-12.
kiwikahuna

Homework Statement

A long straight wire lies on a horizontal table and carries a current of 1.09 μA. A proton moves parallel to the wire (opposite the current) with a constant velocity of 12200 m/s at a distance d above the wire. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2.
Determine this distance of d. You may ignore the magnetic field due to the Earth. Answer in units of cm.

Homework Equations

F = mg
F = qvB
B = (mu)* I / (2pi*r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I set mg = qvB and I solved for B.

After I found B, I plugged B into the equation B = (mu)* I / (2pi*r) to find r which I assume to be the distance that the question is asking for.

Here are the numbers I worked with:

(1.67e-27 kg) (9.81 m/s^2) = (1.602e-19 C)(12200 m/s) * (B)
B = 8.38e-12

To find r,

8.38 e-12 = [(4pi e-7)*(1.09e-6)] / [2pi * r]
I solved for r and found it to be 25.67 cm but this isn't the right answer. Could someone tell me what I did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you just lost a decimal place somewhere. I'm getting an answer of 2.56cm with the same numbers. I think you did the work correctly, but made a computational error. Check your calculations again.

No I tried submitting 2.5667 as the answer and it's still wrong. I think I might have gotten the formula wrong?

I couldn't see anything wrong with the formulae - that's why I didn't post.
You probably don't want to put 5 sig figures when you only know the proton mass and g to 3, could that be it?
I don't really have an intuition about twhat the answer should be - it's not a setup I encounter on a day-day basis.

Unfortunately that's not the problem. The online homework automatically accepts as many sig figs as you can give it. I don't know why this is wrong though. I was sure I had it.

-stressed------

I still think you did the problem right, other than the decimal error. Are you sure it wants the answer in centimeters? Are you sure of the units you used in the finding the answer?

Yep, the problem says that the answer has to be in cm units.

Let me recheck my units...

(1.67e-27 kg) (9.81 m/s^2) = (1.602e-19 C)(12200 m/s) * (B)
B = 8.38e-12 Tesla

8.38 e-12 Tesla = [(4pi e-7)*(1.09e-6 A)] / [2pi * r]

Hmm...everything looks like they are in the right units. Any other suggestions?

kiwikahuna said:
Any other suggestions?

I'm sorry, but I'm stumped. There may be something that we are all missing, or the answer could be wrong. I would talk with your instructor about this problem.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.. Turns out I did do the problem right except my rounding was a little bit off. I tried submiting 2.6002 cm and the darn system considered that answer right. Thank you SO much for your help.

That annoys me about automatic test systems.
Does the designer consider ( or even understand) number of significant figures.
Does it check for a range of answers or just do string match.
I'm sure there are systems out there that are checking if your answer matches to a floating point number!

kiwikahuna said:

Homework Statement

A long straight wire lies on a horizontal table and carries a current of 1.09 μA. A proton moves parallel to the wire (opposite the current) with a constant velocity of 12200 m/s at a distance d above the wire. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2.
g=9.8, not 9.81 m/s^2

Most online homework software accepts a fixed percentage error (typically 1%).

Related to How Far Does a Proton Travel Above a Current-Carrying Wire?

What is a long straight wire?

A long straight wire is a conducting material, such as copper or aluminum, that is stretched out in a straight line. It is used to carry electrical current from one point to another.

What is the significance of a long straight wire in physics?

A long straight wire is significant in physics because it follows the laws of electromagnetism, specifically Ampere's Law. This law states that the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire is directly proportional to the current and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire.

What is the relationship between a long straight wire and a proton?

The relationship between a long straight wire and a proton is that both can produce a magnetic field. The magnetic field produced by a long straight wire is perpendicular to the wire, while the magnetic field produced by a proton is circular and surrounds the particle.

How does a long straight wire affect a proton?

A long straight wire can affect a proton by exerting a force on it. This force is known as the Lorentz force and is the result of the interaction between the magnetic field produced by the wire and the magnetic moment of the proton.

What are some real-world applications of a long straight wire and proton?

A long straight wire and proton have various real-world applications, such as in particle accelerators, where protons are accelerated along a long straight path to high speeds using a magnetic field produced by a long straight wire. They are also used in medical imaging, such as MRI machines, where the magnetic fields produced by a long straight wire and protons are used to create detailed images of the body's internal structures.