How effective is Charles' Law in determining absolute zero?

In summary, the conversation is about comparing Charles' Law to other methods used to calculate absolute zero. The person is considering using the Carnot engine but is concerned about appearing to have copied information from online sources. They are seeking ideas for other methods to find absolute zero.
Foofistan

Homework Statement

Okie so I'm working on my physics work, and I need to compare Charles' Law (for finding absolute zero) to another method used to calculate absolute zero.

3. Attempt at the Solution
For this, I was thinking of looking at Carnot engine, but I absolutely do not understand and while I have looked at sources online, I think that my examiners might think I copied it off online because it goes beyond my course. Does anyone have any ideas on other methods used to find absolute zero?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Foofistan said:

Homework Statement

Okie so I'm working on my physics work, and I need to compare Charles' Law (for finding absolute zero) to another method used to calculate absolute zero.

3. Attempt at the Solution
For this, I was thinking of looking at Carnot engine, but I absolutely do not understand and while I have looked at sources online, I think that my examiners might think I copied it off online because it goes beyond my course. Does anyone have any ideas on other methods used to find absolute zero?
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

I'd like to help, but I'm not that familiar with the different methods for finding 0K. Can you post some of the links you've found with your Google searches? Thanks.

Related to How effective is Charles' Law in determining absolute zero?

1. How does Charles' Law determine absolute zero?

Charles' Law states that at a constant pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. Absolute zero is the temperature at which the volume of a gas theoretically becomes zero, according to Charles' Law.

2. What is the formula for Charles' Law?

The formula for Charles' Law is V1/T1 = V2/T2, where V1 and T1 represent the initial volume and temperature of the gas, and V2 and T2 represent the final volume and temperature of the gas.

3. Is Charles' Law an accurate method for determining absolute zero?

Charles' Law is considered a fairly accurate method for determining absolute zero, as it is based on experimental data and has been validated by various experiments.

4. Are there any limitations to using Charles' Law to determine absolute zero?

One limitation of using Charles' Law to determine absolute zero is that it assumes the gas behaves ideally, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it only applies to gases, so it cannot be used to determine absolute zero for other states of matter.

5. How is the accuracy of Charles' Law affected by experimental errors?

The accuracy of Charles' Law may be affected by experimental errors, such as inaccuracies in temperature or volume measurements. These errors can lead to a deviation from the expected value for absolute zero.